In the early days of Android, the Google Search app was limited to a simple text box which you could use to search the web. But over the past several years its feature set has grown larger than ever. The current version of Google Search app lets you search the web, your music library, your Chrome history and apps on your device. Voice search and the "OK Google" hotword lets you search the web — or your own stuff — by talking to your phone. Google regularly adds new voice commands to its Search app.
In Android 4.1 and above, Google Now (accessible by swiping up from the home key on some phones) introduces predictive search into the mix. Google Now shows you weather details, public transit times, upcoming flight details, driving directions for upcoming appointments and scores from sports teams you follow.
And with the Google Now Launcher — available as a separate download — the Google Search app takes over your home screen, putting Google Now within easy reach as the leftmost home screen panel.
Because of its expanded feature set, and its presence on the default home screen of every Google-certified Android device, Google Search is one of the most important applications in Google's mobile services arsenal.
Google Search - Featured Articles
In the Forums
- Google suspend my account yesterday. 25 replies | Last reply 2 months ago
- Is the Google Play Store available in Guadeloupe? 13 replies | Last reply 1 month ago
- Play store problem please help! 48 replies | Last reply 1 week ago
- How long before uploaded games/app appear in search? 14 replies | Last reply 2 weeks ago
- samsung Kies Air 24 replies | Last reply 2 months ago
- Why aren't downloads starting in my Google play store? 2 replies | Last reply 3 hours ago
- Problem restoring apps from Google Play Store? 1 reply
- Why do I get an error when I try to install an App from the Google Play Store? 2 replies | Last reply 15 hours ago
- Where is my music in Play Music? 0 replies | Last reply 1 day ago
- Why does my Google Play store keep saying error in retrieving information from server.? 1 reply