In the early days of Android, the Google Search app was limited to a simple text box which you could use to search the web. But over the past several years its feature set has grown larger than ever. The current version of Google Search app lets you search the web, your music library, your Chrome history and apps on your device. Voice search and the "OK Google" hotword lets you search the web — or your own stuff — by talking to your phone. Google regularly adds new voice commands to its Search app.
In Android 4.1 and above, Google Now (accessible by swiping up from the home key on some phones) introduces predictive search into the mix. Google Now shows you weather details, public transit times, upcoming flight details, driving directions for upcoming appointments and scores from sports teams you follow.
And with the Google Now Launcher — available as a separate download — the Google Search app takes over your home screen, putting Google Now within easy reach as the leftmost home screen panel.
Because of its expanded feature set, and its presence on the default home screen of every Google-certified Android device, Google Search is one of the most important applications in Google's mobile services arsenal.
In the Forums
- How can I get into the Google Play Store? 33 replies | Last reply 2 months ago
- How do I resolve this Unknown Issue with Google Play Services Error message? 21 replies | Last reply 6 days ago
- How do I stop the Google Play Store from adding to my apps? 13 replies | Last reply 8 months ago
- Google suspend my account yesterday. 27 replies | Last reply 5 months ago
- Play store problem please help! 48 replies | Last reply 1 year ago
- why big games download but dont install? 0 replies | Last reply 1 day ago
- Google Play music stuck on ways to play page, how can I move past this? 3 replies | Last reply 1 day ago
- why cant i get redeem code so i can update google pkay services 1 reply
- Why can't I sample songs in the Google Play Store anymore? 5 replies | Last reply 2 days ago
- Why do I have to pay? 1 reply