The European Commission today formally announced charges against Google. The company is accused of abusing its dominant position in online search, as well as Android.

Original story: The European Commission is reportedly close to filing formal antitrust charges against Google.

While no charges have been filed yet, a report out of The Wall Street Journal claims that the European Union Commissioner for Competition, Margrethe Vestager, has decided to move the years-long antitrust investigation forward after a meeting with European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker. The Wall Street Journal reports:

Europe's antitrust regulator has decided to file formal charges against Google Inc. for violating the bloc's antitrust laws, a person familiar with the matter said on Tuesday, stepping up a five-year investigation that is set to become the biggest competition battle in Brussels since the European Union's pursuit of Microsoft Corp. a decade ago.

EU antitrust chief Margrethe Vestager made the decision on Tuesday in consultation with European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker and will inform her fellow EU commissioners at a meeting on Wednesday, the person said.

This report follows news from earlier this month that the European Commission had begun laying the groundwork for charges by requesting permission to publish confidential complaints from other companies against Google. As noted in that report, if the EU rules against Google, the company could face fines upwards of $6 billion.

As stated above, no charges have been filed yet. However, if this latest report is true, it looks like the EU is set to move forward in the coming days or weeks.

Source: The Wall Street Journal