While this past week or so has dominated by CTIA in the U.S, the international focus remained on Samsung's latest bag of tricks, the Galaxy S III. European networks announced pricing and release plans, as we cross off the days until the May 29 launch. We've also seen the first Galaxy S III variant emerge, in the form of a new mid-range device for Korea Telecom.
But it hasn't been all Galaxy S III -- LG announced the Optimus LTE 2, and released the Optimus L7 in the UK. And we also got a release date for the European RAZR MAXX. Meanwhile, Sony announced two sleek new Android 4.0 phones for the Japanese market -- the Xperia GX (Hayabusa) and Xperia SX (Mint). We're eager to see these arrive on international shores, but right now Sony's made no announcements to this effect.
And Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich updates continue to roll out. This week the international version of the Samsung Galaxy Note got its bump up to ICS, bringing performance improvements, some visual tweaks and new S Memo functionality to Sammy's 5.3-incher.
There was also good news for anyone on a European network who likes to travel within Europe -- the EU has voted to impose a price cap on calls and data roaming prices, meaning more reasonable roaming bills if you're travelling within Europe this summer.
Check the list below for a quick run-down of the main international Android developments in the past week or so. If you've got international news, be sure to tip us at the usual address.
- LG announces the Optimus LTE 2, with 2GB of RAM
- Motorola RAZR MAXX coming to the UK on May 18
- Rogers preparing for launch of the Galaxy S III
- UK-based TVCatchup for Android released in beta
- Sony announces the Xperia GX and SX for Japan
- Sony Xperia GX and SX reportedly arriving in July and August
- Samsung's SVH-E170K is a mid-range Galaxy S III variant for Korea Telecom
- EU votes to impose mobile roaming price cap
- O2 UK reveals new European roaming plans
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 lands at Carphone Warehouse in the UK
- Virgin Media UK to stock the Galaxy S III 'this summer'
- Sony 'Tapioca' ICS budget handset leaks once again
- Samsung Galaxy S III available to pre-order at UK networks
- International Samsung Galaxy Note gets ICS update
- Ad banner suggests Rogers Galaxy S II could offer Exynos chip and LTE
- New TELUS site keeps customers in the loop about software updates
- Virgin Mobile Australia tipped to receive Galaxy S III
- Blurry-cam pics claim to show Sony 'Hayabusa' phone
- Samsung Galaxy S III coming to Canada with LTE
- Every major UK network will carry the Samsung Galaxy S III
- Optimus 2X ICS update delayed until Q3, says LG Singapore
- Filed under: