Google’s Nexus 7 tablet is almost upon us, and although most of us are still waiting for the much-anticipated device to arrive, we’ve had plenty to keep us occupied in the way of international Android news.
Just as Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is arriving, Samsung is going on something of an upgrade spree, bringing the previous version, Ice Cream Sandwich, to a slew of older Gingerbread phone and Honeycomb tablets. Among the devices getting updated this week were the Wifi and 3G Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus, as well as various flavors of Galaxy Note and Galaxy S II.
And Samsung’s launch of the 2GB, quad-core, LTE-connected Galaxy S III in its home territory of South Korea was reportedly met with record day-one sales of 50,000 units across the three main Korean carriers. That’s apparently more than double the Galaxy S II’s first-day sales, and five times the initial sales of the original Galaxy S.
British carrier O2 saw a mass outage affecting up to a third of its customer base on Wednesday and Thursday. The problem, caused by a glitch in the software which registers customers’ handsets on to the network, lasted for around 24 hours, during which time affected O2 users were unable to access the carrier’s voice or data services. The bug was dealt with by lunchtime BST on Thursday, and everyone affected by it should now be able to use their phones again.
Check out a selection of the biggest international Android stories from the past seven days below. If you’ve got news, be sure to tip us at the usual address.
- Why we don't need another version of Android this year
- The best Android phone you can buy, as of July 2012
- Acer Iconia Tab A700 review
- Android 4.0.4 lands for Canadian Galaxy S III's
- BBC launches official Olympic Games app
- Google Maps launches walking directions for 44 African countries
- Advanced gaming smartphone coming from ZTE next week
- O2 confirms UK-wide network problems
- O2 UK network restores after 24 hours downtime for some customers
- Android 4.0.4 arrives for international Galaxy Note, has a few tricks up its sleeves
- Record first-day sales for Korean Galaxy S III
- Huawei Ascend D1 goes on sale in China, Russia next month
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus ICS updates begin
- Sony launches Xperia Unleashed campaign, win stuff by finding tiny bots
- Android 4.0.4 lands on Galaxy S II in some territories
- British High Court rules in favor of Samsung in Apple trade dress case
- Canadian retailers taking Nexus 7 pre-orders
- Filed under: