If you just got your hands on a new Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant or Captivate, you may have noticed some GPS issues. Samsung reportedly has as well, and may address this in a coming OTA fix. In the meantime, it's not hard to fix the problem yourself -- provided you go slow and follow the instructions, which are detailed after the break. [Xda-Developers via Intomobile]
- Step 1 -- Open menu > settings > Location & Security. Uncheck the box next to "Use Wireless Networks"
- Step 2 -- Open the dialer (the phone button) and enter the following: *#*#1472365#*#* . Then press "send" to open the Vibrant's LbsTestMode menu.
- Step 3 -- In the LBSTestMode menu, press “Application Settings” and change “Operation Mode” to “MS Based.”
- Step 4 -- In the LBSTestMode menu, find “SUPL/CP Settings” and change the SERVER & PORT to supl.google.com and port 7276 (DO NOT use www. in front of supl !)
- Step 5 -- Reboot your phone.
- Step 6 -- Open menu > settings > Location & Security. Check the box next to "Use Wireless Networks"
If you want to reverse these changes, the original specs are:
Operation Mode: Standalone
This should make locating and locking on to GPS satellites faster, and make locations services more accurate. Just take your time, and follow the directions closely. And no, this won't affect your warranty or need root.
- Related devices:
- Filed under: