As we leave July behind, we're just three weeks away from the IFA 2012 show in Berlin, one of the biggest consumer electronics events in Europe. This time around we're expecting new Android stuff from Samsung, Sony and maybe Motorola, and we already have plenty of info on what we're likely to see in Berlin.
Samsung confirmed this week that it'll be debuting the next Galaxy Note smartphone at an "Unpacked" event on Aug. 29. Rumors suggest a bump up to a 5.5-inch screen, and the possibility of a quad-core 1.6GHz Exynos chip on-board. Samsung never does anything small, so it's possible we may see some new tablets too, including the soon-to-be-released Galaxy Note 10.1
It looks like this year's IFA will be big for Sony, too. The Japanese manufacturer looks set to unveil four new smartphones -- the Xperia T, Xperia J, Xperia SL and Xperia GX, and many of these reared their heads this week in leaked photos and renders. Also on the cards is another Android tablet, dubbed the "Xperia Tablet," which appeared this week in a set of leaked slides. Sony's continued its use of the "folded magazine" design first seen in the Tablet S, but has slimmed things down a bit, and replaced the plastic chassis with a sleeker aluminum shell.
Check out a selection of the major international Android news stories below. If you've got news, be sure to tip us at the usual address.
- Motorola RAZR V now available on Bell in Canada
- Samsung: Next Galaxy Note coming Aug. 29
- London's Barclays Bikes turn two with updated mobile app
- Xperia U update solves network issues; Xperias P, Go and Sola also due fixes
- Samsung Galaxy Pocket coming to Three UK in September
- ZTE Q2 2012 shipment numbers make it fifth-largest smartphone maker
- Nexus 7 travel covers could be available outside the U.S. in two weeks
- Sony Xperia Tipo tipped for Aug. 8 UK release, pricing info emerges
- Rogers rolling out update for HTC One X, corrects Wifi issues
- ZTE teams up with Professor Green in UK Facebook video contest
- Spotify update brings Spotify Radio to Android at last
- ICS updates reportedly starting for some Galaxy Tab 10.1 models
- Samsung Galaxy S Duos unveiled, first dual-SIM ICS phone
- Sony Xperia GX/SX Japan launch confirmed, international GX leaks once again
- Samsung India starts selling 32GB Galaxy S3
- Too much tweeting blamed for Olympic issues
- 16GB Nexus 7 back in stock on Google Play internationally
- Sony Xperia Tipo headed to O2 and Orange in UK
- Samsung announces UK availability of Galaxy Beam
- HTC closes South Korea office after slow sales
- LG Optimus Vu goes on sale in Japan on NTT Docomo
- Samsung goes behind the scenes at the Olympic opening ceremony
The latest Steve Aoki concert is even better in VR
Do you miss live concerts? Steve Aoki and Oculus are teaming up to help bring you an immersive live concert in VR on September 30 based on Neon Future IV, the 4th studio album launched earlier this year.
How to watch Google's Pixel 5 event livestream on September 30
Between new Pixel phones and an all-new Chromecast, we're expecting a few different hardware announcements from Google's "Launch Night In" event on Septemeber 30. Here's how you can tune-in and watch it!
Review: Until you Fall will punish you, but it's worth it
Until You Fall is a VR roguelite that'll challenge your skills with a blade, your wits, and your arm muscles. It's now available on the Oculus Quest, Oculus Quest 2, PlayStation VR (PSVR), and PC VR platforms including SteamVR and Oculus Rift.
Relax your grip with these Oculus Touch hand straps and grips
When using Oculus Touch controllers, you must constantly keep your fingers clenched to avoid dropping them. Thankfully, there are a few reliable mods that replace the built-in straps with more secure straps and grips, both for the original Touch controllers and the new Touch 2s.