The first big maintenance release since launch makes fixes and adds features.
Software version 1.2 is hitting the new Shield Android TV now, and it tightens the screws on the software that came on the box at release. The new software is primarily made up of fixes, including improvements to SD card support, better streaming for Netflix and Google Play Movies, and firmware upgrades for the Shield Wireless Controller and Shield Remote.
The update also lets you view pictures on your 4K TV, if you have one, and improves the performance of GameStream (you'll need to update GeForce Experience on your PC as well). The full changelog:
- Share your pictures in 4K on Ultra HD TVs with the Photos & Videos app
- Delivers enhancements for SD card auto-move setting
- Optimizes streaming experience for Google Play Movies and Netflix
- SHIELD Accessories Upgrade for SHIELD Remote for snappier response
- Adds notifications for low battery on SHIELD Remote
- Delivers enhancements for NVIDIA GameStream (requires update to GeForce Experience v2.25 beta or later)
- Also, a very popular app has arrived on Android TV, optimized for SHIELD. KODI (XBMC) launched beta 2, delivering SHIELD optimized features including HEVC and 4K video support.
You can head into the settings of your Shield Android TV to check for and apply the update.