After making its debut in the most recent update of Google Play Services, Google is detailing the launch of the Places API for Android, as well as starting a beta program for the API on iOS. The API taps into Google's global database, "providing more than 100 million places, like restaurants, local businesses, hotels, museums, and other attractions."
- Add a place picker: a drop-in UI widget that allows your users to specify a place
- Get the place where the user is right now
- Show detailed place information, including the place's name, address, phone number, and website
- Use autocomplete to save your users time and frustration typing out place names, by automatically completing them as they type
- Make your app stand out by adding new places that are relevant to your users and seeing the places appear in Google's Places database
- Improve the map around you by reporting the presence of a device at a particular place.