As we venture forth into the fall smartphone silly season, there’s plenty of international news to go around. Coming out of IFA, we learned a little more about Samsung’s Galaxy Note II, including tentative release dates and price points for the UK and Europe. Elsewhere, Sony’s Xperia T failed to show up on the retailer-promised release date of Sept 5, and Sony’s now telling us to expect a launch around Sept. 28. And in other Sony news, the new Xperia Tablet S, which was announced just a week ago in Berlin, is now available to buy.
Following Motorola’s big event in New York City, some details slipped out surrounding Moto’s international plans for the RAZR M, its new mid-ranger. Apparently the phone will arrive on British shores later this month with an Intel Atom chip inside, instead of the Snapdragon S4 found in the U.S. version. That’d make the RAZR M the first Intel-powered Android smartphone from a top-tier manufacturer, which is a big deal around these parts.
In carrier news, Vodafone announced a new price plan for heavy network users, dubbed ‘Vodafone Red.’ Red offers unlimited calls and texts -- just as customers are using less and less of both -- and keeps data capped at between 1 and 2GB. There are promising noises coming from Everything Everywhere on the data front, though, as the offspring of Orange and T-Mobile UK looks set to announce its new brand and 4G network at a London event next Tuesday (we’ll be there!)
And finally, Kindle Fire came to the UK. the second-generation Fire will launch in Blighty next month, along with the 7-inch Kindle Fire HD. Amazon hasn’t revealed any plans to launch the 8.9-inch Kindle Fire HD outside the U.S. yet, but it is offering both 7-inchers at highly competitive price points -- £129 for the basic Fire, and a Nexus 7-matching £159 for the HD.
Check out all the latest international developments from around the Android world below. If you’ve got news, be sure to tip us at the usual address.
- Kindle Fire HD hands-on
- Why the Samsung Galaxy Camera makes perfect sense
- Motorola RAZR M hands-on
- Red Samsung Galaxy S3 makes debut at Carphone Warehouse
- Samsung preparing dual-SIM Galaxy Note 2 for China
- LG teases Optimus G phone once again
- Virgin Media announces new TV streaming service for the UK
- Everything Everywhere to launch new network on Tuesday
- HTC One SC makes debut in China
- Kindle Fire and Kindle Fire HD headed to the UK for £129 and £159
- Vodafone Red launches with unlimited calls and texts
- Sony Xperia Tablet S launches in the UK, yours for £239
- ICS-powered Kobo Arc unveiled, priced at £160
- Motorola RAZR M coming to the UK with Intel inside
- Sony Xperia T on target for late September release
- Rogers bringing Motorola RAZR HD LTE to Canada
- Samsung Galaxy Note 2 gets UK price and release date
- New Sony Xperia phones get tentative eurozone pricing
- HTC Desire X gets SIM-free price in the UK
- O2 UK blocking ICS update for Xperia Arc, Ray, Neo
- Hands-on with ICS on the Orange San Diego
Control's Foundation DLC shows Remedy's still in top form
Remedy takes us back to the Oldest House on another exciting mission to save the Federal Bureau of Control. If this expansion is any indication, the next one potentially involving Alan Wake should be incredible.
Everything you need to know about the OnePlus 8, 8 Lite, and 8 Pro!
OnePlus wowed us in 2019 with an onslaught of excellent handsets, and for 2020, the company looks to one-up itself yet again. Between the OnePlus 8, 8 Lite, and 8 Pro, here's everything you need to know about what OnePlus is cooking up this year.
Top 15 Google Duo tips and tricks for better video calls
Google Duo is a solid yet simple video chat app that is available across several platforms, including Android, iOS, and web. Yet despite how simple it is, there are a number of useful tips and tricks to be learned to get the most out of the app. We'll walk you through the top 15.
These cases will ensure that your Tab S4 is safe from accidents and more
If you want to keep your Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 protected, you’ll need to find the best case. We have found some of the best protective and functional cases that money can buy for your Tab S4.