We're less than two weeks away from one of the biggest Android events of the year, where it's possible we'll see a new version of Android, and new phones and tablets. We've already seen just about all there is to see of the LG Nexus 4, and rumors suggest a possible Samsung Nexus 10, as well as a new 32GB Nexus 7. But in amongst all the rumors, leaks and speculation, we've also had a fairly busy week of news for existing devices.
Android 4.1 Jelly Bean finally hit UK Galaxy S3 phones, bringing with it a host of Samsung-specific improvements to the TouchWiz UI. O2 and Three are already pushing out the update, with Vodafone set to follow in the near future.
In Japan, we saw the announcement of what's arguably the most high-spec'd Android handset yet, in the form of the AU-exclusive HTC J Butterfly. With a 5-inch, 1920x1080 (yes, 1080p) display and a quad-core Snapdragon S4 CPU, this device should set the standard for high-end smartphones as we move into 2013. The J Butterfly itself won't be released outside of Japan, but we wouldn't be surprised to see a close relative of this phone land on Verizon in the U.S. before the year's out.
And finally, ASUS launched its second-generation Padfone, the Padfone 2, at glitzy events in Milan, Italy and Taipei, Taiwan. At the Milan event, ASUS' energetic chairman Jonney Shih was on hand to reveal the device, which like its predecessor can be docked with a bundled tablet accessory for a larger-screen tablet experience. Like the J Butterfly, the Padfone 2 runs a quad-core Snapdragon S4 Pro SoC, which looks set to become the new standard chip for high-end Android phones and tablets.
Check out a selection of the highlights in international Android news below. If you've got news, be sure to tip us at the usual address.
- HTC Desire X hands-on
- Acer reportedly looking to launch Intel-powered smartphone
- LOVEFiLM details how service will integrate into UK Kindle Fire
- Samsung Galaxy S3 Jelly Bean update arriving on Three UK
- ASUS Padfone 2 headed to the UK in early 2013
- Netflix now welcoming mobile viewers from Scandinavia
- O2 blames 'central user database' for recent outage
- Brown Galaxy S3 arrives in the UK at Phones4U
- HTC J Butterfly video round-up
- 32GB Nexus 7 coming to the UK for £199.99
- HTC One S Special Edition launches in Taiwan with 64GB on-board
- ASUS Padfone 2 announces -- quad-core S4, LTE phone/tablet dockable
- 32GB Nexus 7 tipped for imminent UK launch
- Samsung restarts European Galaxy S3 Jelly Bean update roll-out
- SoftBank confirms 70 percent Sprint acquisition for $20bn
The latest Steve Aoki concert is even better in VR
Do you miss live concerts? Steve Aoki and Oculus are teaming up to help bring you an immersive live concert in VR on September 30 based on Neon Future IV, the 4th studio album launched earlier this year.
How to watch Google's Pixel 5 event livestream on September 30
Between new Pixel phones and an all-new Chromecast, we're expecting a few different hardware announcements from Google's "Launch Night In" event on Septemeber 30. Here's how you can tune-in and watch it!
Review: Until you Fall will punish you, but it's worth it
Until You Fall is a VR roguelite that'll challenge your skills with a blade, your wits, and your arm muscles. It's now available on the Oculus Quest, Oculus Quest 2, PlayStation VR (PSVR), and PC VR platforms including SteamVR and Oculus Rift.
These are the best cases for your Pixel 4a 5G
The Pixel 4a 5G looks boring in Just Black, but we can fix that! These cases are fun, fashionable, functional, and ready to carry your Pixel 4a 5G into the future.