No announcements have been made, and no dates have been confirmed, but it appears that owners (points to self) of Verizon's Samsung Fascinate may soon (finally!) get their share of Froyo.
Just last week a leaked version, dubbed DL30, made the rounds, and we wasted no time in helping you join in on the fun. Alas, a week is an eternity in the world of Android, and an anonymous source slipped us a new build, dubbed EB01.
I got to put this build through its paces and see how well it performs and stacks up in terms of benchmark scores. A few highlights:
- All the things you'd expect from Froyo including installation of apps on the Fascinates SD card; the latest Gtalk and Gmail apps; and full Adobe flash.
- Bing is still the default search engine; however, Verizon has thrown in Google Search for good measure. Google Maps and Nav must still be downloaded separately.
- Customize the Fascinate with one of 3 system fonts styles: Choco Cooky, Cool Jazz, and Rosemary (additional fonts available for download)
- Visual upgrades to icons and new options for controlling Mobile Data & Auto Rotation in the notification panel.
- Samsung's Media Hub allows you to download movies and TV shows.
- Take screen shots by holding back and power.
Will this be the official Froyo update? I can't say for sure, but it appears about as final as Froyo gets. If you can't wait any longer, head on into the forums, where forums adviser Adrynalyne has packaged it up so you can share in the fun. Video and links to the unofficial update are after the break.
Youtube link for mobile viewing