Update: Since this story was first published, Evan Blass has stated that Force Touch — previously said to be coming to Huawei's next big-screen handset — has been "pulled," and will not feature in this model. It's still likely we'll see a new large form factor phone from Huawei at IFA, be it under the "Mate" brand or some other name.
Launching at IFA on 9/2. Features force touch. Branding currently unknown (D-series?). pic.twitter.com/5w2t7m7Nsx— Evan Blass (@evleaks) August 8, 2015
Followup: I'm told that this is not a D-series -- which is dead -- and that the force touch feature has been pulled from this model.— Evan Blass (@evleaks) August 8, 2015
Seasoned phone leaker Evan Blass, better known as @evleaks, has published images of what looks like an updated Huawei Ascend Mate device, with word that the phone will launch at IFA in Berlin on Sept. 2. The Mate series is Huawei's big-screen "phablet" line, the most recent member of which was unveiled at last year's IFA show.
Physically, the phone appears to be a cross between last year's Mate device and the current Huawei flagship, the P8. The specific branding for the new model is unclear according to Blass, and given that Huawei recently abandoned the "Ascend" name for its smaller high-end phone, it's possible we'll see a broader branding shake-up when the company does its thing at IFA.
Whatever happens, we'll be in Berlin on Sept. 2 to bring you all the news from media day at IFA 2015.