AT&T has unleashed the KitKat update for the Samsung Galaxy Mega today, updating the phone to Android 4.4.2 , the baseband version to I527UCUBNE7, and bringing some "general performance enhancements" to the phone. And we also get one whopper of a changelog to tell us all the details.
Software update includes
This update is available for download via Wi-Fi only.
- Android OS upgrade (KitKat 4.4.2) >>1. New platform support for secure NFC-based transactions through Host Card Emulation (HCE)
- You can add printing support to your apps or develop print services to support specific types of printers.
A new storage access framework makes it simple for users to browse and open documents, images, and other files across all of their their preferred document storage providers
The new provider and semantics help to improve the user's experience when multiple messaging apps are installed, and they help you to build new messaging features with fully-supported, forward-compatible APIs
Full-screen Immersive mode
System-wide settings for closed captioning : Settings > Accessibility > Google subtitles (CC) and Samsung subtitles (CC)
On-device memory status and profiling : Settings > Developer options > Process stats
More details about Android KitKat are available at: http://developer.android.com/about/versions/kitkat.html
- Beat Music pre loaded
- ISIS Wallet pre loaded
- Default value for Air view is set as OFF
- AT&T Drive Mode is changed to Drive Mode
- On-device memory status and profiling : Settings > Developer options > Process stats
- If you tap 7 times on "Settings > More > About Device > Build number", Developer options menu activates
- Camera shortcut in Lock screen added
- Unified Location Menu: Settings > More > Location Location Settings is same as Location service in JB. User can set the Locating method and check the recent location requests.
User can set preferred network & Automatic in security policy update Setting > more > Security > Security update service
Send security reports :
- Set the device to send security reports automatically when the device is connected to a Wi-Fi network.
- Security policy updates
- Automatic updates : Set the device to check and download security updates automatically.
- Preferred networks : Select a network connection option to check and download security updates automatically.
- Check for updates : Check for security updates. (manual updates)
- Home and Message app can select as default Setting > more > Default applications > set defaults Setting > Connections > More networks > Default Messaging app
- If you select default home as Touchwiz easy home in Setting > more > Default applications > set defaults, you can see the following screens. For this option, only home launcher is changed. (Applications remain same)
- If you want to set as easy home launcher plus easy mode apps, go to Settings->My Device->Homescreen mode and select Easy mode. This will change all supported applications to easy mode. (Phone, Message, etc)
- GMS apps update (GMS 4.4.2_r2).
- Wireless Printing is added. You can add printing support to your apps or develop print services to support specific types of printers. Apps > Settings > Connections > More networks > Printing
- Video player closed captioning Settings > My device > Accessibility > Google subtitles (CC) and Samsung subtitles (CC)
- If HCE apps or OffHostapp(ex ISIS wallet) installs in HCE supporting device, Tap and pay in NFC menu is listed and user can set default wallet. Please refer to URL ( http://developer.android.com/about/versions/kitkat.html#44-hce)
- Can be set sound for Samsung apps (call/message/email/calendar) Setting > my Device > Sound > Samsung applications
- As compared with JB4.2, delete menus in Apps Apps > menu key > menu - "Play Store", "Downloaded application","Share apps"
- "Number" based sync changed to "Day" based sync for IMAP account : Email > Sign-in > Menu -> Settings -> Account settings -> Select account -> Sync settings -> Period to sync Email
You'll need to be on Wifi to download the update, but with all these changes it looks to be well worth installing.
- Related devices: