As it often is, Samsung was the focus of much of the last week’s international Android news. The Korean manufacturer finally announced and released its Galaxy Note 10.1, an Android 4.0 tablet with a quad-core CPU, 2GB of RAM and a Wacom-powered stylus. We were live at the launch event, and we’ve got a hands-on preview of the device for you to take a look over.
Elsewhere, we had two Galaxy S3 Jelly Bean leaks in quick succession. Early, but official Samsung firmware for the international S3 (GT-i9300) leaked out on Thursday, followed by a more recent build on Friday. Rumors suggest that Sammy may announce Jelly Bean for the Galaxy S3 alongside the Galaxy Note 2 at its pre-IFA press conference on Aug. 29. Based on what we’ve seen so far, we certainly wouldn’t rule it out.
This week also saw the first wave of Galaxy Note 2 rumors, with some believably -- and not-so-believable -- images of the upcoming Note successor showed up online. The first photo, leaked to a French blog, claimed to show the phone’s front panel and screen -- a 5.5-inch 16:9 aspect ratio display with a gap below for a Galaxy S3-style clicky button. This was followed later in the week by a couple of renders we’re all sure are fake.
What we now know isn't fake, however, is the long-rumored black version of the Galaxy S3 -- that was confirmed as being real by two different retailers this week. The black S3 is said to be launching around early October with 64GB of internal storage on-board.
Expect more IFA leakage over the next seven days, in the run up to one of Europe’s biggest tech shows. We’ll be live in Berlin to bring you full IFA coverage the week after.
Check out some of the weeks’ biggest international Android stories below. If you’ve got news, be sure to tip us at the usual address.
- Galaxy Note 10.1 hands-on
- Galaxy S3 with Jelly Bean hands-on
- Galaxy S3 Jelly Bean update to bring new TouchWiz features
- Black Galaxy S3 coming in October with 64GB of storage, says retailer
- Carphone Warehouse offers Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 and Galaxy Y for £15.50 per month
- Sony begins ICS roll-out for Xperia P
- This is not the Samsung Galaxy Note 2
- Purported Samsung Galaxy Note 2 front panel photo leaks
- Here we go again: Dubious render claims to show Galaxy Note 2
- Sky Sports TV released on Android, few phones supported
- Acer Liquid Gallant E350 manual reveals forthcoming lower-end offering
- London 2012 Paralympic app now available
- LG hails 5 million LTE smartphones sold worldwide
- Acer Liquid Glow released in the UK for £148 SIM-free
- Pink Sony Xperia P sighted in Hong Kong
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 up for pre-order at Carphone Warehouse
- Motorola Atrix HD LTE now available from Bell in Canada
- Phones4U to launch the LG Optimus 4X HD on Aug. 27
- Sony Xperia S now available in dark silver
- LG Optimus 4G LTE gets ICS on Bell
- ZTE Grand X launches on Virgin Media UK
- Carphone Warehouse to launch Motorola RAZR MAXX
- Android 4.0 coming to Optimus 2X after all - at least in Korea
- UK retailer confirms existence of black Samsung Galaxy S3
- Filed under: