Owners of the Verizon Wireless version of the Samsung Galaxy S5 now have an update to Android 5.0 Lollipop available for their downloading pleasure. Well, technically it's two updates, the first paving the way for the main Lollipop update. Verizon's Galaxy S5 is actually the first S5 in the US to get Lollipop, following releases in Europe last month.
Here's what's new in the update — i.e. Lollipop plus some Samsung additions and alterations:
- Material Design - Android Lollipop brings the all-new material design offering fluid animations, vivid colored themes, and 3-D views for a more pleasurable experience
- Basic Interaction - Bolder color and more fluid animation; The on/off toggle button style updated based on material design
- Lock Screen - The shortcuts for both Phone and Camera are provided for convenience; Material design-inspired notifications; Ability to set priority and privacy for notifications on lock screen; Provide music control as a card to utilize the real estate of the lock screen UI; Brighter look and feel, bold colors, fluid animation inspired by material design.
- TouchWiz - Floating action buttons provide easy access to the app's most important features, such asadding a new contact or favorite, or composing a text message
- Floating Action Button - Floating action buttons provide easy access to the app's most important features, such as adding a new contact or favorite, or composing a text message.
- Interruptions - Interruptions give you more advanced options to control your sound settings; Priority notifications such as events and reminders, phone calls, and messages can be set up to sound or vibrate while all other notifications are muted; Set downtime for specific days and times to control notification sounds automatically
- Recents - Easy access to your Chrome tabs right from the Recent apps page; Multi-window icons for ease-of-use during multi-tasking
As is usually the case, the update is going through a staged roll-out and may not be available to all Verizon Galaxy S5 users immediately. But fear not, if you don't have it now, it'll be available soon enough.
Source: Verizon; Thanks to Erik and Matt for the tips!