According to the Google Home help pages, the Preview Program is an update channel for the Chromecast and Google Home that gives you early access to device firmware updates. The Chromecast has been on this channel since September 2016, but the addition of Google Home is a new development.
Google also stresses that this isn't beta software and should be the close to any final releases.
We've not spotted anyone out in the wild with access just yet, but Google tells us how the opt-in process works.
- From your phone or tablet, open the Google Home app Chromecast cast icon.
- In the upper right corner of the home screen, tap Devices to see your available Chromecast and Google Home devices.
- Scroll to find the device card for the device you'd like to enroll in the Preview Program.
- In the top right corner of the device card, tap the device card menu.
- Tap Settings > Preview Program. If you don't see Preview Program, we aren't accepting new members at this time. Please continue to check back as opportunities become available.
- Choose whether to receive email notifications by moving the slider to the right or left. Note: We recommend allowing email notifications so you'll know when new updates are pushed to your device.
- If you opt-in to email notifications, you'll be asked to sign into your Google account if you haven't already.
- Review the contents of that page, and tap Join Program.
- Review the contents of the page, then tap OK, GOT IT.
There's no telling what new features are in store for Google Home, and sometimes getting an update first isn't a great experience. Is anyone out there going to give this one a try?
Didn't see it on mine... Oh well
Must have slipped under the radar. Not on any of mine either
Don't see it
Me either. Will check back often.
Not there for me as well
From the preview page: Tap Settings > Preview Program. If you don’t see Preview Program, we aren’t accepting new members at this time. Please continue to check back as opportunities become available. Not showing for me. Will check back in the future.
It's still there for Chromecasts, which I've been part of for a while, but not yet for Google Home. Must not be turned on yet.
See for my Chromecast and enrolled, but not seeing for my Google home.
To everyone having issues, the Home Preview Program is currently full, which is why the option isn't available in Settings. Bummer.
Both my Chromecast devices have preview mode available, but not my Google Home.
I'm in...! (UK)
Get the best of Android Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Android Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.