We mentioned this first thing in our Nexus 5X unboxing, but it's worth a big reminder now that more phones are hitting doorsteps: The phone comes with a USB-C to USB-C cable, which is used in conjunction with the wall charger, but that won't do you much good for anything else right now. If you want to plug your Nexus 5X into a computer, or Android Auto, or an external battery, or an existing charger, you're going to need a USB-A to USB-C cable.
So unless you're rocking a Chromebook Pixel or a new MacBook, you're going to want to pick up a USB-A to USB-C cable. Thankfully there are plenty of places to get one for a reasonable price (about $10), but it's still something extra to pick up.
And even if you don't have an immediate need for another cable, it's probably a good idea to pick one up just in case. You don't want to rely on having a single three-foot cable as your only choice for charging your new Nexus 5X.
- Buy USB-A to USB-C cable from Monoprice
- Buy USB-A to USB-C cable from OnePlus
- Buy USB-A to USB-C cable from Belkin
- Buy USB-A to USB-C cable from Google
- Nexus 5X review
- 5 things to know about the Nexus 5X
- Read the latest Nexus 5X news
- Learn about Nexus Protect insurance
- Learn about Project Fi
- Join the Nexus 5X forums
- Nexus 5X specs