As Sept. 30 creeps up on us, it comes as no surprise that Motorola Droid 2 R2-D2 edition launch kits are showing up in some Verizon stores. Word has it that these are non-functional dummy units, so don't expect to get to play with any of the geeky Star Wars customizations even if you are able to get your hands on one early.
But, wait, there's more. Select stories nationwide will open at midnight on Sept. 30 -- and parties are planned throughout the day. Here's what the manager of one Verizon store has told us:
- His store's gotten three outdoor tents for its event. The event actually will start around 9:30 p.m.
- This store will get about 200 of the special-edition phones. There will be a two-phone-per-person limit.
- Look for contests at the stores. You could win a free phone.
- Pricing isn't known yet.
- You'll get the R2-D2 edition multimedia dock with the phone.
Where will special events be taking place? Cities we know of include:
- Sugar House Salt Lake City; Lone Tree, Colo.; Corte Madera, Calif.; Mountain View, Calif.; Portland, Ore.; Seattle downtown; San Dieo Sports Arena; Santa Monica, Calif.; Tempe (Ariz.) Marketplace; Boca Park Las Vegas [Verizon Insider via Droid Life]
That's just a partial list, though. Miami Herald blogger Bridget Carey reported Florida stores will include Colonial Orlando, Hialeah, Orange Park and St. Petersburg. And that matches what we've heard. (Update: Add Lewisville, Texas (outside Dallas) to the list, per BGR.)
I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I'm a bit jealous that I won't be getting one of these, so anyone who gets an early peek at the in store promotional materials and dummy units, holler at me. And may the force be with you. [BGR, Engadget]