We're sure a lot of you T-Mobile G1 owners have been interested in Google Maps Navigation since it was announced (to be fair, who isn't interested?). And when we told you that the fine folks at xda-developers had figured a way to port Google Maps Navigation onto the beloved G1, you couldn't wait to find out how to do the same. And now that we have those instructions, you're ready to get started. So here it goes (remember, your G1 needs to be rooted and have CyanogenMod 220.127.116.11), to quote xda-developers:
- Unzip zip to desktop
- Run Part 1.bat
- When prompted to press any key, do so; the phone will reboot
- When your phone is running again, run Part 2.bat
- When prompted to press any key, the installation process is done.
- Make sure GPS is enabled
- Open Maps and press OK
- Press Menu
- Press Directions
- Enter an end point
- Click Go
- Just under "Show on map", click Navigate.
- When prompted to install the voice codec, do so.
And remember, we're all better Android users because of the great folks at xda-developers. And as always, be careful when you do this! Be sure to let us know how it works out for you in the comments