Samsung on Feb. 23, 2014, ahead of Mobile World Congress in Barcelona Spain, announced not one but two new smartwatches — the Gear 2, and the lesser Gear 2 Neo. And there are some fairly big shifts here.
Most obvious is in design. The camera wart on the strap is gone, with the lens moved into the body of the Gear 2. There's also been the addition of an Infrared port to control living-room appliances.
Less obvious is that the Gear 2 no longer runs Android. Samsung has switched to Tizen — its own open-source operating system. That in and of itself isn't necessarily a bad thing — there are plenty of popular smartwatches that don't run full builds of Android.
Samsung is positioning the Gear 2 as a lifestyle companion device. It'll be available worldwide in April.
Top Samsung Gear 2 Stories
Recent Samsung Gear 2 Forum Threads
- My phone thinks I have an Android Wear watch
- How to check for software updates on Gear 2 Neo?
- Screws fell out of band.
- New Watch Faces for Samsung Gear 2 Neo, OTHER than Gear Manager??
- New to Gear 2 Neo, question re: S Voice
- Gear 2 Neo band too small
- Notifications Wear Style for Gear 2
- Why isn't my Google Voice not working with my S Gear 2 Neo?
- Where do I find a Gear 2 charging dock for the brown and gold watch?
- What kind of video formats are supported on the Gear 2?
- See All Threads