Samsung on Feb. 23, 2014, ahead of Mobile World Congress in Barcelona Spain, announced not one but two new smartwatches — the Gear 2, and the lesser Gear 2 Neo. And there are some fairly big shifts here.
Most obvious is in design. The camera wart on the strap is gone, with the lens moved into the body of the Gear 2. There's also been the addition of an Infrared port to control living-room appliances.
Less obvious is that the Gear 2 no longer runs Android. Samsung has switched to Tizen — its own open-source operating system. That in and of itself isn't necessarily a bad thing — there are plenty of popular smartwatches that don't run full builds of Android.
Samsung is positioning the Gear 2 as a lifestyle companion device. It'll be available worldwide in April.
Top Samsung Gear 2 Stories
Recent Samsung Gear 2 Forum Threads
- Connecting Neo Gear 2 to my LG Stylo, can I get some assistance?
- heart rate monitor horribly inaccurate?
- How can I download ECG data?
- Samsung Gear 2 will not start, reboot, or recover.
- Screws fell out of band.
- Auto-lock feature taken away with latest gear manager update!
- The new Gmail app is causing multiple notifications on Gear 2
- How often does your Gear 2 disconnect?
- New Gear Manager today...Gear 1 & Gear 2 WON'T Connect Anymore!!!!!!!
- Samsung Gear 2 smartwatch and Fleksy
- See All Threads