Samsung on Feb. 23, 2014, ahead of Mobile World Congress in Barcelona Spain, announced not one but two new smartwatches — the Gear 2, and the lesser Gear 2 Neo. And there are some fairly big shifts here.
Most obvious is in design. The camera wart on the strap is gone, with the lens moved into the body of the Gear 2. There's also been the addition of an Infrared port to control living-room appliances.
Less obvious is that the Gear 2 no longer runs Android. Samsung has switched to Tizen — its own open-source operating system. That in and of itself isn't necessarily a bad thing — there are plenty of popular smartwatches that don't run full builds of Android.
Samsung is positioning the Gear 2 as a lifestyle companion device. It'll be available worldwide in April.
Top Samsung Gear 2 Stories
Recent Samsung Gear 2 Forum Threads
- Gear 2 Neo working on my new LG G3
- Auto-lock feature taken away with latest gear manager update!
- Gear 2 - whatsapp
- samsung gear manager error
- Connection failed- Note 4 & Gear 2 Neo
- Gear Manager app not working.
- Is there any app besides the s health app to track and sync from phone to the gear 2 s?
- Syncing S Health on S5 with Gear 2 Neo (all features)
- Samsung Galaxy Gear 2 S Voice
- broken charging port
- See All Threads