Samsung on Feb. 23, 2014, ahead of Mobile World Congress in Barcelona Spain, announced not one but two new smartwatches — the Gear 2, and the lesser Gear 2 Neo. And there are some fairly big shifts here.
Most obvious is in design. The camera wart on the strap is gone, with the lens moved into the body of the Gear 2. There's also been the addition of an Infrared port to control living-room appliances.
Less obvious is that the Gear 2 no longer runs Android. Samsung has switched to Tizen — its own open-source operating system. That in and of itself isn't necessarily a bad thing — there are plenty of popular smartwatches that don't run full builds of Android.
Samsung is positioning the Gear 2 as a lifestyle companion device. It'll be available worldwide in April.
Top Samsung Gear 2 Stories
Recent Samsung Gear 2 Forum Threads
- Samsung Note 3 won't connect to new Gear 2 Neo
- Where can I get a Samsung Gear 2 replacement battery?
- Samsung Gear 2 no longer receiving any notifications
- New Gear Manager today...Gear 1 & Gear 2 WON'T Connect Anymore!!!!!!!
- New Gear Neo 2-Problem Galaxy Gear Manager Crashes, Any Others Having This Issue?
- Why doesn't my Samsung Gear App with Gear 2 Neo work properly?
- Auto-lock feature taken away with latest gear manager update!
- Samsung's Gear S2 makes its Instagram debut on an exec's wrist
- Samsung or android wear
- Setting for not having calls go to the Gear 2 neo
- See All Threads