Samsung on Feb. 23, 2014, ahead of Mobile World Congress in Barcelona Spain, announced not one but two new smartwatches — the Gear 2, and the lesser Gear 2 Neo. And there are some fairly big shifts here.
Most obvious is in design. The camera wart on the strap is gone, with the lens moved into the body of the Gear 2. There's also been the addition of an Infrared port to control living-room appliances.
Less obvious is that the Gear 2 no longer runs Android. Samsung has switched to Tizen — its own open-source operating system. That in and of itself isn't necessarily a bad thing — there are plenty of popular smartwatches that don't run full builds of Android.
Samsung is positioning the Gear 2 as a lifestyle companion device. It'll be available worldwide in April.
Top Samsung Gear 2 Stories
Recent Samsung Gear 2 Forum Threads
- Notifications Wear Style for Gear 2
- Gear 2 vs Zenwatch/Android Wear-which one?
- 1st day without my gear and missing it
- Gear 2 MIA?
- On my Gear2 Neo, why have notifications stop clearing from the phone after a week or so?
- Latest Gear Manager Update has serious problems ...
- broken charging port
- gear 2 neo pedometer help
- I am back from Gear S to Gear 2. Gear 2 still can't reply to texts and emails?
- Gear 2 Music Player - sync playlists?
- See All Threads