Samsung on Feb. 23, 2014, ahead of Mobile World Congress in Barcelona Spain, announced not one but two new smartwatches — the Gear 2, and the lesser Gear 2 Neo. And there are some fairly big shifts here.
Most obvious is in design. The camera wart on the strap is gone, with the lens moved into the body of the Gear 2. There's also been the addition of an Infrared port to control living-room appliances.
Less obvious is that the Gear 2 no longer runs Android. Samsung has switched to Tizen — its own open-source operating system. That in and of itself isn't necessarily a bad thing — there are plenty of popular smartwatches that don't run full builds of Android.
Samsung is positioning the Gear 2 as a lifestyle companion device. It'll be available worldwide in April.
Top Samsung Gear 2 Stories
Recent Samsung Gear 2 Forum Threads
- Battery life DRAMATICALLY reduced since Jul 25th Gear Manager update
- Evernote released for Android Wear...
- Gear 2 & 2 Neo coming along!
- Initiating call from Gear 2
- Watch-Phone Connection Broken
- heart rate monitor horribly inaccurate?
- Blurry camera
- Gear 2 vs Tasker
- Gear 2 - I want to get rid of Tizen and install the android version on the Gear Live ...possible?
- Delete multiple/all messages?
- See All Threads