Samsung on Feb. 23, 2014, ahead of Mobile World Congress in Barcelona Spain, announced not one but two new smartwatches — the Gear 2, and the lesser Gear 2 Neo. And there are some fairly big shifts here.
Most obvious is in design. The camera wart on the strap is gone, with the lens moved into the body of the Gear 2. There's also been the addition of an Infrared port to control living-room appliances.
Less obvious is that the Gear 2 no longer runs Android. Samsung has switched to Tizen — its own open-source operating system. That in and of itself isn't necessarily a bad thing — there are plenty of popular smartwatches that don't run full builds of Android.
Samsung is positioning the Gear 2 as a lifestyle companion device. It'll be available worldwide in April.
Top Samsung Gear 2 Stories
Recent Samsung Gear 2 Forum Threads
- Recommend Bluetooth Headphones for use with Gear 2
- Are you able to answer calls on the Gear S2 wifi model?
- Gear 1 vs gear neo 2
- Gear 2 doesn't work after factory reset
- Connection failed- Note 4 & Gear 2 Neo
- Broken Charging Nub Port
- Favorite Gear 2/neo app
- Pandora: anyone hear any rumors (or facts) about Pandora working with G2?
- The new Gmail app is causing multiple notifications on Gear 2
- Stopped charging
- See All Threads