Samsung on Feb. 23, 2014, ahead of Mobile World Congress in Barcelona Spain, announced not one but two new smartwatches — the Gear 2, and the lesser Gear 2 Neo. And there are some fairly big shifts here.
Most obvious is in design. The camera wart on the strap is gone, with the lens moved into the body of the Gear 2. There's also been the addition of an Infrared port to control living-room appliances.
Less obvious is that the Gear 2 no longer runs Android. Samsung has switched to Tizen — its own open-source operating system. That in and of itself isn't necessarily a bad thing — there are plenty of popular smartwatches that don't run full builds of Android.
Samsung is positioning the Gear 2 as a lifestyle companion device. It'll be available worldwide in April.
Top Samsung Gear 2 Stories
Recent Samsung Gear 2 Forum Threads
- Dang, the Apple watches look mighty fine!
- S Voice Reminders
- Gear 2 Apps in Samsung Apps
- Gear 2 neo - when watching analog clock - pointers slow to adjust
- Anyone else missing Watch Styler, Toggles, etc?
- Can't connect Gear 2 Neo
- Viber calls through Gear 2 Neo
- How to tell when apps update
- FYI; Android Wear Is Here, So What Can It Do?
- New weirdness: all icons lost their captions. had to restart watch.
- See All Threads