Samsung on Feb. 23, 2014, ahead of Mobile World Congress in Barcelona Spain, announced not one but two new smartwatches — the Gear 2, and the lesser Gear 2 Neo. And there are some fairly big shifts here.
Most obvious is in design. The camera wart on the strap is gone, with the lens moved into the body of the Gear 2. There's also been the addition of an Infrared port to control living-room appliances.
Less obvious is that the Gear 2 no longer runs Android. Samsung has switched to Tizen — its own open-source operating system. That in and of itself isn't necessarily a bad thing — there are plenty of popular smartwatches that don't run full builds of Android.
Samsung is positioning the Gear 2 as a lifestyle companion device. It'll be available worldwide in April.
Top Samsung Gear 2 Stories
Recent Samsung Gear 2 Forum Threads
- Small wrists? and any ladies wear gear watch?
- with the update I see the gear 2 can response to emails with template
- Why won't music transfer from S5 to Gear 2 Neo?
- Sync S Health and Fitness With Gear?
- Anybody tempted to upgrade to gear S?
- DEVELOPERS: where is the promised 9-icon launcher?
- Using Neo 2 with non galaxy phone
- S Health data erased!
- Is Fitness With Gear app discontinued?
- how to reply email on gear 2?
- See All Threads