Samsung on Feb. 23, 2014, ahead of Mobile World Congress in Barcelona Spain, announced not one but two new smartwatches — the Gear 2, and the lesser Gear 2 Neo. And there are some fairly big shifts here.
Most obvious is in design. The camera wart on the strap is gone, with the lens moved into the body of the Gear 2. There's also been the addition of an Infrared port to control living-room appliances.
Less obvious is that the Gear 2 no longer runs Android. Samsung has switched to Tizen — its own open-source operating system. That in and of itself isn't necessarily a bad thing — there are plenty of popular smartwatches that don't run full builds of Android.
Samsung is positioning the Gear 2 as a lifestyle companion device. It'll be available worldwide in April.
Top Samsung Gear 2 Stories
Recent Samsung Gear 2 Forum Threads
- Notifications Wear Style for Gear 2
- google voice not working with S Gear 2 neo
- Where do I find a Gear 2 charging dock for the brown and gold watch?
- What kind of video formats are supported on the Gear 2?
- Developer greed?
- New Gear Manager today...Gear 1 & Gear 2 WON'T Connect Anymore!!!!!!!
- Battery issues after recent update?
- Can I get some help getting my Gear 2 pedometer working?
- Pandora APP
- Since last Gear Manager update data won't sync with S Health
- See All Threads