Reality Robotics, the company behind the likes of the nerd-friendly, Android-controlled TankBot, is back with another gadget, this one a little more near and dear to our hearts. A Kickstarter campaign has been launched for BERO -- Be The Robot.
There are a number of models of the 4-inch BugDroids from which to choose. They've got tracks for legs, LEDs for eyes, and the headphones pulse to music. Plus there's a built-in speaker that will play music from an included storage card. Very cool.
The different models will behave different. They're programmable, voice-activated -- and the whole thing is open-sourced. (Jerry is going nuts already, we imagine.)
There are a dozen Kickstarter pledge levels, starting at $35 for a paperweight (basically the shell of a BERO with no electronics), all the way up to a $7,800 pledge that will send you to Hong Kong to see how these little guys are made. (There are only two of those available.)
Hit the links below for more, and check out the gallery after the break for more color options.
The BERO robots are expected to ship in late November. iOS funcationality will be added later, as well as integration with MP3 players and (possibly) Twitter.
Reality Robots Launches Be The Robot (BERO) – Animated Mobile Robot Controlled by an Open Source App
4” Google Android™ inspired robot reacts to smartphone notifications, avoids obstacles, dances to music and is fully controlled by a Bluetooth-enabled smartphone
WILMINGTON, Del. – Aug. 28, 2012 – Reality Robotics, established by experienced product developers of robotic toys such as DeskPets Tankbot and WowWee Robopanda, is excited to announce the Be The Robot (BERO) campaign now live on Kickstarter. BERO is the ultimate smartphone companion that uses an Android open source app to wirelessly control the robot. Depending on the BERO model, robots react to smartphone notifications and are fully programmable, customizable and voice activated. BERO is packed with up to six motors for realistic dance moves with head turns, arm waves, and side to side poses all while playing the user’s favorite music.
All 4” Google Bug Droid inspired BERO robots utilize a unique tank style caterpillar track design providing an unmatched range of motion. The USB recharged and onboard battery powered BERO has 2 LED lights for eyes and light up headphones flash to the beat of music. The onboard speaker and amplifier allow users play WAV audio files from an included SD card.
BERO utilizes two infrared transmitters for navigation which allow the robot to detect obstacles up to 3-5 inches to the left, right and front. Users can interact with BERO and have the robot interact back with the user for countless hours of enjoyment.
BERO is offering a number of different pledge levels including a limited (only 2 available) “see how it’s made” package ($7,850) which includes a trip to Hong Kong for a firsthand look at how BERO is made. Contributors to this limited pledge offer will also receive a BERO factory tour, learn about top-secret future development plans and star in an exclusive BERO video.
Contributors can also choose from a number of other pledge options and BERO models including:
- $35 or more – BERO Basic – desk accessory with matte white plastic shell of the BERO with no motors or electronics.
- $79 or more – BERO Bluetooth – matte and transparent blue finish motorized, fully functioning BERO with 2 micro gearbox motors.
- $109 or more – BERO Backer – matte white and red finish motorized, fully functioning BERO with an additional 3 micro gearbox motors (five in total) with left and right arm position sensors to high five and wave and head can turn left and right.
- $129 or more – BERO Basshead – matte black and red finish motorized, fully functioning BERO with an additional 3 micro gearbox motors (five in total) with left and right arm position sensors to high five and wave and head can turn left and right and 2 LED lights in the headphones that light up to music.
- $159 or more (limited – 500) – BERO Bling (silver) – shiny silver chrome finish with six total micro gearboxes, waist motor for side to side motion, left and right arm position sensors to high five and wave and head can turn left and right, 2 LED lights in the headphones that light up to music and 2 infrared transmitters to navigate through obstacles.
- $189 or more (limited – 250) – BERO Bling (gold plated) - shiny real gold plated finish with six total micro gearboxes, waist motor for side to side motion, left and right arm position sensors to high five and wave and head can turn left and right, 2 LED lights in the headphones that light up to music and 2 infrared transmitters to navigate through obstacles.
BERO is expected to be shipped in late November 2012 and will be releasing new updates such as iOS compatibility, Twitter enabling and MP3 player functionalities in the near future.
For more information on Reality Robotics and BERO, visit Kickstarter, BeTheRobot.com or follow @BeTheRobot.
Sign up for Black Friday email alerts!
Get the hottest deals available in your inbox plus news, reviews, opinion, analysis and more from the Android Central team.