How do I back up my data on my Samsung Galaxy device?
Looking for a reliable way to back up the data on your Samsung Galaxy phone? Look no further than Samsung's Smart Switch application.
Simply download the application onto your computer, connect your phone, and before too long you'll have everything backed up in case you need to transfer your data to a new phone, or restore your phone to an older state.
- How to install Samsung Smart Switch on your computer
- How to set up Samsung Smart Switch for the first time
- How to back up your phone data with Samsung Smart Switch
- How to restore your phone from a previous backup using Samsung Smart Switch
How to install Samsung Smart Switch on your computer
We'll show you the process for installation on Windows, but it's a pretty standard installation process on Mac as well.
- Navigate to the Samsung Smart Switch support website.
- Click on the download link for Windows or Mac — whichever system you're using. For this how-to, we're using Windows
Click to launch the downloaded .exe file (.dmg on Mac).
Click the two check boxes to verify that you accept the terms of the licence agreement.
Click Finish once the installation process is complete. Smart Switch will then launch by default.
Now that we've installed Samsung Smart Switch, let's set it up to connect to your Samsung Galaxy phone.
How to setup Samsung Smart Switch for the first time
Once you've installed the Smart Switch application, you'll need to get it synced up with your phone.
- Launch the Samsung Smart Switch application after installation or from the desktop icon on your computer.
Connect your phone to your computer via USB cable to get started. The program should instantly recognize when it's connected. You may be prompted to allow USB file transfers on your phone.
Switching over to your phone, unlock and swipe down from the top to pull down the notification shade.
- Tap the notification for other USB options.
Tap the Transferring media files option.
Switching back over to the computer, your phone should now be connected in the Smart Switch application.
How to back up your phone data with Samsung Smart Switch
Once you've launched the Smart Switch application and have your phone connected, backing up your data is as easy as pie.
- Launch the Smart Switch app on your computer.
- Click Backup.
You'll be required to allow access permissions on your phone.
- Pick up your phone.
Once the backup is complete, you get a breakdown of all the data that was successfully backed up. Click OK to finish.
How to restore your phone from a previous backup using Samsung Smart Switch
If it's time to upgrade to a new Samsung phone or something has gone wrong, requiring you to restore your data, it's super easy if you've got an existing Smart Switch backup.
- Launch Samsung Smart Switch on your computer and connect your phone via USB.
- Click Select a different backup if you want to restore from an eariler backup, otherwise click Restore now.
You will be prompted to allow access permissions on your phone.
- Switching focus to your phone, tap Allow to continue the restore process
Once the restore process is complete, you'll get a breakdown of the data that's been restored. Click OK to finish the restore.
- Galaxy S7 review
- Galaxy S7 edge review
- U.S. unlocked Galaxy S7
- Should you upgrade to the Galaxy S7?
- Best SD cards for Galaxy S7
- Join our Galaxy S7 forums