Verizon is now pushing out an update for the Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge which brings a number of new features to the phones. To ensure that the phone remains waterproof at all times, Verizon now displays a pop-up when the SIM tray is not fully closed. Additionally, there are some improvements to managing memory use of individual apps and more.
Verizon notes that some of the changes for both phones include:
- This software update brings the latest security patches and improvements to various settings and features.
- Added a SIM/SD Card pop-up reminder to close the tray if it's left open.
- It's easier to check individual app performance and memory usage in the Application Manager.
- Easier instructions on how to turn and turn off the Always on Display feature, which dims display brightness for better nighttime use.
- When traveling outside your default time zone, the dual clock displays the current time under "Roaming."
For the Galaxy S7 edge, the update also brings two other features:
- You can now learn more about Enhanced features, voice commands with S Voice, new Themes and how to use the Edge screen, in Help > New features.
- The Calendar Edge panel now provides a quick glance of upcoming events and location information.
In addition, you've got new helpful hints in the Smart Switch app, fixed Outlook email sync when in Power Saving mode, more consistent connection to Network Extenders and more. The update is just beginning to push out, so it may be a day or two before you see it hit your phone. To check for it manually, head into your Settings, then About phone and finally check for the update.
Update: And in another sign that Samsung (and Verizon) are doing better at pushing out security updates, the GS7 is now on the May security patch.
- Galaxy S7 review
- Galaxy S7 edge review
- U.S. unlocked Galaxy S7
- Should you upgrade to the Galaxy S7?
- Best SD cards for Galaxy S7
- Join our Galaxy S7 forums