The Gear VR Innovator Edition for the Samsung Galaxy S6 will be available on May 8, with pre-orders starting April 24.
Best Buy will begin accepting pre-orders for the Samsung Galaxy S6 Gear VR Innovator Edition on April 24, with the official online release following on May 8. Samsung says it'll cost $199. The Gear VR Innovator Edition will work with both the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 edge devices, and it is powered by Oculus. Samsung has already released a version compatible with the Galaxy Note 4, but the Galaxy S6 version is different in a few ways.
Some of the changes that come along with this unit are:
- Unmatched Viewing: Featuring the Galaxy S 6 and Galaxy S 6 edge industry-best 577 ppi and Quad HD Super AMOLED® displays, users can view videos, short films, games and other content on the Gear VR like never before and with less pixelation.
- Improved Headset: With a reduction in size, redesigned straps, improved airflow and a built-in fan for better ventilation, the Gear VR is even more comfortable to wear.
- Smoother Performance: With a powerful new octa-core, 64-bit processor, the Galaxy S 6 and Galaxy S 6 edge allow for more computing power, better graphics and more efficient battery usage – giving users a more robust VR experience.
- Extensive Content Library: The Oculus Store gives users easy access to an ever-growing library of regularly updated VR content, including the free and paid games, apps and videos created exclusively for Gear VR.
- Samsung's Milk VR: Exclusive to the Gear VR, Samsung's Milk VR delivers premium, immersive 360-degree videos with new content debuting daily, helping to build-up a virtual reality video ecosystem and a regular habit of VR viewership. Videos, from channels in music, sports, action, lifestyle and more, are available in both Instant Play (adaptive streaming) and Best Quality (download in the highest quality available, 4K x 2K). Samsung's Milk VR continues to expand the roster of top brands, entertainment companies and networks contributing to the library of high quality VR experiences, including GE, Matador, Refinery29 and Spike Digital Entertainment, among others.
Pre-orders begin from Best Buy on April 24, with an online release following on May 8. Select Best Buy retail locations will begin carrying the Gear VR in-store for the Galaxy S6 on May 15, with additional stores being added throughout the summer.
- Galaxy S6 review
- Galaxy S6 complete specs
- Galaxy S6 news | GS6 edge news
- Galaxy S6 beginner's guide
- Galaxy S6 forums | GS6 edge forums
- Shop for accessories