Can't wait til November 11th for T-Mobile to give you the much ballyhooed RC29 update? Need to stay current with the latest firmware version available? No worries, we at Android Central got you covered! There's a way to manually upgrade your T-Mobile G1 to firmware RC29. It's easier than you think but then again not the 'official' route you should take and thus, a wee bit dangerous.
To get this done you need to:
- Download firmware RC29 from Google
- Rename downloaded file to update.zip and place it in the root of your MicroSD card
- Unplug USB cord
- Turn off G1.
- Turn G1 back on holding Home+End keys until you see the G1 image pop up
- From that icon, open keyboard and hit Alt+L
- Hit Alt+S to begin update
- Follow onscreen instructions and hit Home+Back to finish
- G1 will reboot to flash the new firmware
- Voila! RC29 Firmware is installed!
Be aware that this isn't the recommended solution, T-Mobile suggests that you simply just wait out for them to officially roll out the update to users. If you happen to destroy your phone, T-Mobile can't guarantee any replacements and if replacements were to be given, the turnaround rate may last a week. In all, Android Central warns you in attempting this process but hey, to each his own.