Verizon has surprised everyone by making press materials available for the Droid Pro -- looking very different than anyone thought with its candy-bar styling and non-sliding qwerty action. Big Red doesn't have much to say about the Droid Pro so far:
DROID PRO is a new, powerful, stronger and faster solution designed to meet both business and personal needs. The first Android™-based smartphone optimized for business use, DROID PRO is also a global-ready Android smartphone, allowing customers to enjoy wireless voice service in more than 220 countries and data coverage in more than 200 countries.
What do we say? Hello, front-facing QWERTY goodness! We're still waiting on an official announcement and hopefully we'll get to see some more of this guy at CTIA this week in San Francisco. Stay tuned, folks, and in the meantime let's all play the waiting game in the Droid Pro forums.
Update: The official announcement's after the break, folks. Android 2.2, 3.1-inch touchscreen, 3G mobile hot spot, 1GHz processor, 2GB ROM (boo), 2GB microSD card, 5MP camera. Available in the fourth quarter
SAN FRANCISCO, Oct. 5 /PRNewswire/ -- From CTIA Enterprise & Applications™ 2010, Verizon Wireless, the company with the nation's largest and most reliable wireless 3G network, and Motorola, Inc.(NYSE: MOT) today unveiled DROID PRO, a new, powerful, stronger and faster solution designed to meet both business and personal needs. The first Android™-based smartphone optimized for business use, DROID PRO is also a global-ready Android smartphone from Verizon Wireless, allowing customers to enjoy wireless voice service in more than 220 countries and data coverage in more than 200 countries.
DROID PRO meets employers' and employees' needs by addressing the productivity tools businesses require, including corporate connectivity and security; full push corporate e-mail with corporate level security; unified calendar with additional work features; pre-loaded Quickoffice Mobile Suite, a powerful 1 GHz processor; 4 GB of memory (2 GB internal; and 2 GB removable) and a QWERTY keyboard designed for speed and convenience.
"DROID PRO combines the feature-packed, high-level user experience that customers look for in an Android smartphone plus the security that enterprises require, all with the reliability of Verizon Wireless' 3G network," said Mike Lanman, president – Enterprise and Government Markets for Verizon Wireless. "DROID PRO builds on our commitment to deliver the best Android experience to the marketplace as well as to our enterprise customers."
"The DROID PRO is an advanced business-ready solution that provides users with the full smartphone experience, redefined by delivering the power of a DROID," said Sanjay Jha, chief executive officer of Motorola Mobility. "The DROID PRO consolidates users' work and personal needs. This is just another reason the DROID PRO is setting a new standard for enterprise, allowing users to enjoy all the benefits of a smartphone with full push delivery of corporate e-mail and corporate level security."
Key features and specifications:
- Support for both Exchange e-mail and Gmail™ for business
- Corporate directory look-up, unified calendar for Enterprise and sync with Google Calendar™
- PC-like browsing with Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1 on a full, multi-touch, 3.1-inch brilliant display built on Android 2.2
- View, edit and share documents, including Microsoft Excel® spreadsheets, PowerPoint® presentations and Word® documents
- Built-in security features, including AuthenTec IPSec multi-headed VPN integration, remote wipe of device and SD card, and complex password support. Device and SD card encryption will be available in early 2011
- 3G Mobile HotSpot capabilities – Allows customers to connect up to five other Wi-Fi®-enabled devices and laptops
- Live widgets that stream e-mail messages to the home screen; customers can filter the widgets to separate work and home e-mail
- 5-megapixel camera with auto focus and dual LED flash as well as DVD-quality video
- 3G diversity antennae provides customers with enhanced data speeds and range
- Wi-Fi®-enabled DLNA® connectivity
- Android Market™ – Provides customers with access to more than 80,000 applications
- My Verizon and Backup Assistant(SM) support – Allows customers to manage their wireless accounts or their contacts from their phones
Pricing and availability:
- DROID PRO will be available at www.verizonwireless.com and in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores in the coming weeks. Pricing will be announced closer to launch.
- For more information about Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to www.verizonwireless.com.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Galaxy S20 vs. OnePlus 8 camera comparison: Zoom trumps macro
The Galaxy S20 and OnePlus 8 both have triple camera arrays, but Samsung and OnePlus went in different directions for the individual lenses in those systems. Both phones take great photos, but in the end one is more well-rounded and versatile than the other.
Do you think the Pixel 2 is a good purchase in 2020?
The Pixel 2 and 2 XL will be turning three this October. Do you think the phones are still worth picking up here in 2020?
OnePlus disables the OnePlus 8 Pro's color filter camera with new update
The latest OxygenOS update for the OnePlus 8 Pro disables the phone's color filter camera. OnePlus says the camera will be re-enabled sometime next month.
The Xperia 1 is still our favorite phone for shooting video
If video recording is your thing, then look no further than the Sony Xperia 1 — it offers a large screen, three great cameras, and extremely robust manual video controls.