Some Sunday musings as we get ready for the silly season.
These Editor's Desk columns have become synonymous with our former editor-in-chief Phil Nickinson's name, but as he's off doing something new and extremely exciting (you'll all see it soon enough — I can't wait to see it myself), we're going to be sharing this prestigious piece of Android Central website real estate. We'll be rotating between myself, Alex Dobie, Daniel Bader and Jerry Hildenbrand. (To start it off, I encourage you to take a quick look at Daniel's introduction (albeit several months after joining Mobile Nations) that he wrote last weekend.)
I'm sure most regular readers are used to seeing my name on articles and reviews here, and as I move into this new U.S. Executive Editor role you should be seeing even more of my byline. It's exciting for me to be able to bring more analysis and insight to AC, and together with Alex, Daniel and Jerry we're going to continue to do everything we can to make this site and community awesome.
This is my last stretch of being at home for more than a couple days at a time for a while, as we're entering the late-summer/early-fall silly season for Android. Here's a quick synopsis.
For me, it kicks off a little early with an Honor event down in San Francisco this coming week, and there will be a similar event in Europe the next week. After a little more non-show travel, it's the huge IFA show in Berlin — officially kicking off on September 2, but we'll be on the ground August 30 — from which you'll get all of the great show coverage you expect; this show should be a good one for smartwatches, and new devices from Huawei, Sony and more.
That show is quickly followed by LG unveiling the V20 the week after, which itself lands right on top of an expected iPhone launch the same week. The V20 will be the first phone launching with Android 7.0 Nougat, so once it's out the door we're starting the countdown to when Google officially unveils its "finished" (for now) version of the operating system that has been in Developer Preview status for months. And, of course, that very often coincides with new Nexus hardware.
So yeah, we'll be busy. Before you know it, we'll be looking October right in the face. Now, a few more thoughts:
- There's a big and exciting article coming up on AC this week. I've been head-down working on it, and can't wait to share it.
- Jerry has absolutely been killing it with these Android 7.0 feature spotlight articles.
- Just like this Editor's Desk column, we're also going to be taking turns hosting the podcast. The format may change a little here and there, and we all have to get used to the rotating cast (and missing out on Phil every week), but it's coming together well, I think.
- It's time for the Olympics and the start of the English Premier League season, both of which are exclusive to NBC in here in the states. That means using the horrendous NBC Sports app — NBC should be ashamed of its Android app and website. What a dumpster fire.
- Things have kind of slowed down on the "Android apps on Chrome OS" front — we'll see more from that closer to the end of the year, and I hope this is one initiative that Google really sticks with.
- Using a few different phones the past month, I have legitimately been missing using Project Fi. You can bet I'll have it with me for all of my travel (especially international) coming up.
That's it from me for now. Have a good rest of your Sunday (or perhaps Monday), and get ready for a busy few weeks on AC.