Quickly following the announcement that it is planning to invest over $4 billion in network improvements throughout 2013, T-Mobile has been enhancing its coverage in dozens of new markets in the last month. Last week the carrier added 5 new markets, bringing the total to 23, and today it is rolling out enhanced 1900MHz HSPA+ coverage to another 14 markets. Users in the following areas should see improved speeds and building penetration, as well as HSPA+ speeds on unlocked AT&T handsets:
- New York, including The Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens and Staten Island
- Newark, N.J., including the surrounding cities of East Orange, Elizabeth, Jersey City, North Bergen, Paterson and Union City
- Boston and Cambridge, Mass., including the surrounding cities of Amherst, Andover, Arlington, Bedford, Belmont, Billerica, Braintree, Brockton, Brookline, Burlington, Canton, Chelmsford, Chelsea, Chicopee, Dedham, Everett, Framingham, Hadley, Holbrook, Holyoke, Lawrence, Lexington, Lowell, Ludlow, Lynn, Malden, Marblehead, Medford, Melrose, Metheun, Milton, Nahant, Natick, Needham, Newton, Quincy, Reading, Revere, Salem, Saugus, Sommerville, Stoneham, Swampscott, Tewksbury, Wakefield, Walpole, Waltham, Watertown, Weston, Westwood, Weymouth, Wilmington, Winchester, Winthrop and Woburn
- Springfield, Mass.
- Providence, R.I., including the surrounding cities of Cranston, North Providence, Pawtucket and Warren
- Detroit and Warren, Mich., including the surrounding cities of Dearborn, Romulus, Royal Oak, Sterling Heights and Troy
- Dallas, including the surrounding cities of Arlington, Carrolton, The Colony, Denton, Farmers Branch, Flower Mound, Frisco, Garland, Grand Prairie, Irving, Lancaster, Lewisville, McKinney, Mesquite, Plano, Richardson, Rowlett and Southlake
- Fort Worth, Texas, including the surrounding cities of Keller and Mansfield
- Austin, Texas, including the surrounding city of Round Rock
- San Antonio
- Tampa, Fla., including the surrounding cities of Clearwater, Largo, Safety Harbor, St. Petersburg and Vinoy Park
By our count that puts T-Mobile at 37 total markets with enhanced coverage and 1900MHz HSPA+ deployment, which is a good start. We'll see how the carrier continues its rollout through 2013 while it manages an LTE network deployment as well.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Nest Secure is discontinued — here's what's going on and why it matters
Nest's home security alarm system is only three years old, and yet its already heading to the Google Graveyard. This announcement is sudden, unexpected, and quite honestly unreasonable on Google's part, as it leaves users and their home safety in limbo.
You probably shouldn't use Apple's MagSafe charger on your Android phone
The science behind wireless charging says not to put anything magnetic close to either side. Apple did the work to make it safe, but chances are other phone makers haven't. Yet.
Samsung delivering an update to the Galaxy S7 isn't a cause for celebration
Samsung just rolled out a security patch to the four-year-old Galaxy S7. While it is good that the phone is getting an update past its guaranteed three-year commitment, the current system of Android updates is broken, and things need to change.
The Xperia 1 II is our favorite phone for shooting video
If video recording is your thing, then look no further than the Sony Xperia 1 II — it offers a large screen, three great cameras, and extremely robust manual video controls.