Just about every OEM is eager to release new hardware that's faster and more powerful than past releases, but Huawei's announced plans to go a slightly different route this year. Starting this August, it'll begin rolling out its free GPU Turbo update that dramatically boots the graphical performance for a number of its existing phones.
Huawei says GPU Turbo works similar to the turbocharger in a car, noting that it's "able to accelerate performance by optimizing system utilization of software and hardware resources." When the update lands on a phone, it'll see a 60% increase in graphics processing and a 30% reduction in power consumption — resulting in better gaming performance and longer battery life.
Huawei needs to work with developers to ensure GPU Turbo is properly taken advantage of, and out of the box, the update will be noticeable in PUBG Mobile and Mobile Legends: Bang Bang.
The current rollout schedule for the GPU Turbo update is as follows:
- Huawei Mate 10, Mate 10 Pro, Mate RS — Coming August 2018 to Europe, Russia, Asia Pacific, Middle East, and Africa
- Huawei P20 and P20 Pro — Coming August 2018 to Europe, Russia, Asia Pacific, Middle East, and Africa
- Huawei Mate 10 Lite — Coming September 2018 to all markets
- Huawei Nova 2i — Coming September 2018 to all markets
- Huawei P Smart — Coming September 2018 to all markets
- Huawei P20 Lite — Coming September 2018 to Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East, and Africa
- Huawei Y9 (2018) — Coming September 2018 to all markets
- Huawei Mate 9 and Mate 9 Pro — Coming November 2018 to all markets
- Huawei P10 and P10 Plus — Coming November 2018 to all markets
If you've got any of the above phones, are you excited for the GPU Turbo update?
Samsung Galaxy phones will now get three years of OS updates
Samsung will start giving its Galaxy phones the same update treatment that Google gives its Pixels.
Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 Plus hands on: Unfulfilled potential
Samsung refuses to lets its dream of Android tablets die, and the latest example of this is the Galaxy Tab S7+. It's an incredibly well-built gadget with premium specs galore, but is it enough to overcome the state of Android on a tablet in 2020?
Did you pre-order the Galaxy Note 20 Ultra?
The Galaxy Note 20 Ultra is a seriously impressive device, and as of right now, pre-orders are open. Have you splurged for the phone yet?
Snag one of these cases and protect your P40 Pro in style
Did you just pick up the new Huawei P40 Pro, but aren't sure how you want to keep it safe from when "life" happens? We've rounded up the best cases and there's an option available for just about everyone.