In the United States, there are a lot of companies that can get you and your phone online, but most people use one of the four biggest: AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon. Choosing between them can be difficult. Your first priority should be what service works best in the places you spend your time. It's not worth saving $10 a month if the service is bad. Once you have that sorted, you can look at what each company has to offer and the prices they charge for it.
Let's take a look at Sprint to see what they can give you and what it will cost.
Sprint Unlimited Freedom plan details
- Unlimited talk, text, and data (with certain restrictions)
- Unlimited data for streaming video up to 1080p
- Unlimited data for gaming up to 8Mbps
- Unlimited data for streaming music up to 1.5Mbps
- 10GB high-speed mobile hotspot with VPN and P2P support
- Add a tablet with unlimited data for $25 per month
Note: These features apply only to new accounts.
Sprint's definition of Unlimited Data means that after you use 23 GB in a single month, your service can be slowed down if you're in a congested area. You'll hear the word throttled used here but you need to know that it's only a temporary deprioritization of your data connection when you're in a busy area. It may not happen at all depending on how many other customers are using the same towers.
Buying a phone and getting exactly the data plan and extras you want is far easier on Sprint than every other company we've tried.
Sprint's Unlimited Freedom plan applies only to new customers who are also buying (outright purchases or financing) or leasing phones from Sprint at the time of purchase, and credit approval is required. There is an activation fee of up to $30 per line and the Unlimited Freedom Plan requires eBilling. Current customers can call 1-866-275-1411 with questions about changing their plan.
Sprint offers a 14-day satisfaction guarantee and devices purchased on installments are subject to a $350 early termination fee.
Additional lines can be added to a Sprint Unlimited Freedom plan. Every line has the same benefits outlined above and requires an equipment purchase. Here is a pricing breakdown.
- One line of service is $60
- Two lines of service is $100
- Three lines of service is $100
- Four lines of service is $100
These prices are part of a limited promotion and are set to change on June 30, 2018. They also include the standard AutoPay discount ($5) the carrier uses to determine their advertised pricing.
Sprint Unlimited Freedom plan add-ons
Sprint's Unlimited Freedom plan is a no-frills option at a low price. There are few extras and add-ons available if you want international options or a few extra features.
- Free Sprint Open World Winter Promo: Free calls, texts and high-speed data from Canada, Mexico and 25 other countries in Latin America until March 31, 2017
- Mexico-Canada Plus: Unlimited calls and texts from the U.S. to Mexico and Canada, unlimited messaging to 180 countries and discounted international calling rates from the U.S. for $5 per month
- Upgrade your phone every 12 months with a $5 monthly charge
Sprint also offers trials and discounts on some premium services for new customers. Spotify Premium has a 30-day trial available, as does Lookout and Sprint Family Locator. After the trial period, normal monthly rates apply.
Sprint also will offer "unlimited access to exclusive artist content not available anywhere else" now that the company has bought one-third of Tidal, though exact details on this aren't yet available.
Updated, November 2017: This post has been updated with the latest information about Sprint's plans and pricing.
- Which unlimited plan should you buy?
- Verizon's Unlimited plans: Everything you need to know
- Everything you need to know about the T-Mobile ONE unlimited plan
- Everything you need to know about the AT&T Unlimited plan
- Everything you need to know about Sprint's Unlimited Freedom plan
- Join the Discussion
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Buy a Synology NAS to boost your home network storage productivity!
With a network attached storage enclosure, you can easily back up data from all devices on your home network, and you can use it as a powerful media server. With options starting off from just $100, these are the best Synology NAS enclosures for home use.
At this point, Google should just launch the Pixel 4a with the Pixel 5
With delay after delay pushing back the Pixel 4a's launch into July and possibly August, it would make a lot of sense for Google to simply call it the Pixel 5a and launch it alongside the Pixel 5 in October.
Google is playing the long game with its hardware company acquisitions
Why does Google keep buying companies that it doesn't always know what to do with?
Forget worrying about drops and scratches with these Nokia 6.2 cases
Did you just get the Nokia 6.2 but didn't get a case? We have found the best cases that money can buy to keep your new device safe from any accidental drops in your day-to-day travels.