The just-announced Motorola Droid Turbo 2 includes a new technology for the phone's display that Motorola is calling ShatterShield. The company says it lets the Droid Turbo 2 have the "world's first phone screen guaranteed not to crack or shatter" and it offers a warranty against cracking or shattering of the phone's display and embedded lens for four years after purchase.
Motorola says it has been working on the ShatterShield technology for the past three years. It describes how it is used on the Droid Turbo 2.
- It starts with a rigid aluminum core that provides structural integrity and durability.
- On top of that, we've added in a stunning AMOLED flexible display. Using a flexible display absorbs shock and makes it possible to flex during a drop versus breaking like most screens.
- Then, a dual touch layer with redundancy was created to help it survive accidents. Often, after a drop, the touch layer can go bad and your touch doesn't work as well. So we've added a failsafe mechanism.
- The next layer is the interior lens which provides a clear protective shield that won't crack or shatter.
- Lastly, we topped it off with an exterior lens that has a unique hardcoat that helps protect the display against normal wear and tear.
Motorola plans to include displays that use ShatterShield in future smartphones "soon".