What you need to know
- The Shield is being updated to Android 9.0 Pie today.
- It'll have the new Hulu With Live TV app built in.
- Plus improved color for HDR-enabled TVs.
NVIDIA Shield — which remains the only Android TV box you should buy — just keeps getting better and better. Never mind the fact that it's more than four years old — ancient by today's tech standards. (Also never mind that there may finally be an updated version waiting in the wings.) Today the Tegra X1-powered system becomes first Android TV box to be updated to Android 9.0 Pie.
As is the usual case, the "NVIDIA Shield Experience" version is number doesn't quite match up, but don't let that bother you any. Update 8.0 has a lot going on.
In addition to the Pie update — and the Android security updates that come with it, you'll also find:
- A new featured called Match Content Color Space that will give more accurate colors on an HDR-enabled TV.
- The new and improved Hulu app — which sports an updated user interface and features, and also has Hulu with Live TV. (You'll still need a subscription, of course.)
- Updates "Display and Sounds" advanced setting info into two easier-to-navigate menus
- Adds option to match content color space (Settings > Display & Sound > Advanced).
- Improves volume dynamic range for USB and Bluetooth-connected headsets
- Enables 720p refresh rate switching on supported apps
- Adds "Disconnect Bluetooth accessories" option to quick settings
- Adds IR power control options to customize on/off functionality
- Adds option to turn off USB Power when Shield sleeps
- Adds option to connect to 2.4 GHz or 5GHz Wi-Fi network with shared SSID
- Updates accessory firmware versions
The update is rolling out to Shield boxes now.
Additionally, the NVIDIA Shield TV Android app has received an update. It's not directly tied to the Shield Experience 8.0 update, but here's what's new anyway:
- Better pairing with Bluetooth assisted discovery
- Lower latency and better performance
- IP pairing is now always an option
- Allows for user feedback
- Minor updates to the UI
The best Android TV box, now with Pie
NVIDIA Shield remains the best Android TV box you can buy, built for gaming and streaming. And now it's got Android 9.0 Pie.
Hulu With Live TV (From $45 a month)
The best originals, plus live TV
Hulu long has been known for its extensive back catalog and original shows. Now it's getting even better with its live TV service.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Google is planning to reopen some of its offices starting July 6
Google has announced that it will begin reopening some of its offices starting July 6. It will also be giving $1,000 to all its employees who choose to work remotely for the rest of the year to purchase equipment and office furtniture.
Meet ARM's Cortex-X, the design that could create custom Pixel chips
Big and fast, slow and wide, or even both at the same time — ARM's Cortex-X program lets companies building ARM chips take part in the design process for a custom edge. It's also the system that could allow Google to make its own custom chips for Pixel phones.
These are the best apps for your Android device — period
It can be difficult to find the "right" app when surfing the Play Store simply due to the sheer number of options available. Regardless of what type of app you're looking for, there's an app that can help make your life easier.
These are the best kids shows on Hulu — from Animaniacs to Steven Universe
Now that the kids are home, you might be looking for something for them to watch. Luckily, Hulu has a lot of options.