What you need to know
- The Shield is being updated to Android 9.0 Pie today.
- It'll have the new Hulu With Live TV app built in.
- Plus improved color for HDR-enabled TVs.
NVIDIA Shield — which remains the only Android TV box you should buy — just keeps getting better and better. Never mind the fact that it's more than four years old — ancient by today's tech standards. (Also never mind that there may finally be an updated version waiting in the wings.) Today the Tegra X1-powered system becomes first Android TV box to be updated to Android 9.0 Pie.
As is the usual case, the "NVIDIA Shield Experience" version is number doesn't quite match up, but don't let that bother you any. Update 8.0 has a lot going on.
In addition to the Pie update — and the Android security updates that come with it, you'll also find:
- A new featured called Match Content Color Space that will give more accurate colors on an HDR-enabled TV.
- The new and improved Hulu app — which sports an updated user interface and features, and also has Hulu with Live TV. (You'll still need a subscription, of course.)
- Updates "Display and Sounds" advanced setting info into two easier-to-navigate menus
- Adds option to match content color space (Settings > Display & Sound > Advanced).
- Improves volume dynamic range for USB and Bluetooth-connected headsets
- Enables 720p refresh rate switching on supported apps
- Adds "Disconnect Bluetooth accessories" option to quick settings
- Adds IR power control options to customize on/off functionality
- Adds option to turn off USB Power when Shield sleeps
- Adds option to connect to 2.4 GHz or 5GHz Wi-Fi network with shared SSID
- Updates accessory firmware versions
The update is rolling out to Shield boxes now.
Additionally, the NVIDIA Shield TV Android app has received an update. It's not directly tied to the Shield Experience 8.0 update, but here's what's new anyway:
- Better pairing with Bluetooth assisted discovery
- Lower latency and better performance
- IP pairing is now always an option
- Allows for user feedback
- Minor updates to the UI
The best Android TV box, now with Pie
NVIDIA Shield remains the best Android TV box you can buy, built for gaming and streaming. And now it's got Android 9.0 Pie.
Hulu With Live TV (From $45 a month)
The best originals, plus live TV
Hulu long has been known for its extensive back catalog and original shows. Now it's getting even better with its live TV service.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Epic Games is suing Google following Fortnite's removal from the Play Store
Following Apple removing Fortnite from its App Store, and the subsequent announcement of an Epic Games lawsuit against the company, Google seems to have done the same.
The Walking Dead Onslaught hacks its way onto PSVR on PS4 and PS5
The Walking Dead Onslaught is finally making its way to your favorite VR platform this September.
When will my phone get Android 11?
There's a lot to look forward to with Android 11, but when will your phone actually get it? Here's everything we know!
Game like a pro with these controllers for your Samsung Galaxy phones
Are you ready to have some fun with your new Samsung Galaxy phone and get some serious gaming done? Before you can, you'll likely want to get an awesome controller to pair up and make the most out of the experience.