What you need to know
- The Shield is being updated to Android 9.0 Pie today.
- It'll have the new Hulu With Live TV app built in.
- Plus improved color for HDR-enabled TVs.
NVIDIA Shield — which remains the only Android TV box you should buy — just keeps getting better and better. Never mind the fact that it's more than four years old — ancient by today's tech standards. (Also never mind that there may finally be an updated version waiting in the wings.) Today the Tegra X1-powered system becomes first Android TV box to be updated to Android 9.0 Pie.
As is the usual case, the "NVIDIA Shield Experience" version is number doesn't quite match up, but don't let that bother you any. Update 8.0 has a lot going on.
In addition to the Pie update — and the Android security updates that come with it, you'll also find:
- A new featured called Match Content Color Space that will give more accurate colors on an HDR-enabled TV.
- The new and improved Hulu app — which sports an updated user interface and features, and also has Hulu with Live TV. (You'll still need a subscription, of course.)
- Updates "Display and Sounds" advanced setting info into two easier-to-navigate menus
- Adds option to match content color space (Settings > Display & Sound > Advanced).
- Improves volume dynamic range for USB and Bluetooth-connected headsets
- Enables 720p refresh rate switching on supported apps
- Adds "Disconnect Bluetooth accessories" option to quick settings
- Adds IR power control options to customize on/off functionality
- Adds option to turn off USB Power when Shield sleeps
- Adds option to connect to 2.4 GHz or 5GHz Wi-Fi network with shared SSID
- Updates accessory firmware versions
The update is rolling out to Shield boxes now.
Additionally, the NVIDIA Shield TV Android app has received an update. It's not directly tied to the Shield Experience 8.0 update, but here's what's new anyway:
- Better pairing with Bluetooth assisted discovery
- Lower latency and better performance
- IP pairing is now always an option
- Allows for user feedback
- Minor updates to the UI
The best Android TV box, now with Pie
NVIDIA Shield remains the best Android TV box you can buy, built for gaming and streaming. And now it's got Android 9.0 Pie.
Hulu With Live TV (From $45 a month)
The best originals, plus live TV
Hulu long has been known for its extensive back catalog and original shows. Now it's getting even better with its live TV service.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
This insane Echo Dot Black Friday deal is a must-have for your smart home
Shopping for an Echo Dot? What about an Amazon Smart Plug? You can get both in this bundle and save 55% at the same time!
Canada deal: Samsung’s TU8000 4K TV drops to its lowest price ever
Let's face it — your TV is probably in dire need of an upgrade. If you happen to live in Canada, you can pick up the excellent Samsung TU8000 4K TV at its lowest price ever.
If you buy any smart speaker this Black Friday, make sure it's the $70 Echo
There are plenty of smart speakers to choose from this Black Friday, but if you buy anything, you better make sure it's the Amazon Echo (4th Gen). It's on sale now for 30% off!
Download all the things with the best microSD cards for the Shield TV
Did you just get your hands on the new NVIDIA Shield TV (2019) and are disappointed with the current storage situation? Thankfully, NVIDIA opted to include a built-in microSD card slot for you to expand that storage and keep all of your content at the ready.