Hot on the heels of the Xperia Miro, which emerged on Facebook last night, Sony Mobile has announced the Xperia Tipo, a new entry-level smartphone running Android 4.0 on a 3.2-inch screen. Like the Miro, the Xperia Tipo rocks an 800MHz single-core Qualcomm Snapdragon CPU, and comes in four colors -- black, white, red and blue. Other notable features listed by Sony include a 3.2MP camera, 1500mAh battery "with more than 24 hours of usage time." In terms of internal storage, you've got 2.5GB media space and 766MB for apps. That's way, way less than we'd like, but at least it's expandable via a microSD card slot.
So it's a decidedly low-end smartphone, though it should be interesting to see at which price point this device emerges. Sony's already done a pretty good job with its slightly-more-expensive budget offering, the Xperia U. If the Tipo can push things closer to the £100 mark, it might be worth a look.
Both Xperia Miro and Xperia Tipo are due for launch in Europe sometime in the third quarter of the year. Full presser's after the break.
Sony Mobile unveils Xperia miro and Xperia tipo – stylish, fun and easy to use smartphones
- Xperia miro provides deep Facebook integration and Sony’s xLOUD audio technology in a slim and stylish design
- Xperia tipo comes in both single and dual SIM version for consumers looking for value and functionality
- Both smartphones launch on latest Android™ platform - Ice Cream Sandwich
13 June, London, United Kingdom – Sony Mobile Communications (“Sony Mobile”) today announced two new Xperia™ smartphones, Xperia miro and Xperia tipo. Xperia miro is a slim and stylish smartphone available in a fun range of colours with deep integration of Facebook™ throughout contacts, photo gallery and the music player, plus Sony’s xLOUD™ audio technology for crisp and loud sound. Xperia tipo is designed to be easy to use enabling consumers to get the most from their smartphones – whether browsing the web, sharing pictures or downloading apps. Xperia tipo will also be available in a dual SIM version – Xperia tipodual – so that consumers can switch between tariffs with just one touch to stay on the most cost effective plan. Both smartphones will launch globally in calendar Q3 2012.
“Xperia miro and Xperia tipo are for consumers looking for entertainment experiences and functionality traditionally associated with high-end Android smartphones”, said Calum MacDougall, Director Xperia Marketing at Sony Mobile Communications.” “Xperia miro is for those who want an integrated social media and a great music experience while Xperia tipo is for consumers who want to realise the benefits of a smartphone for the first time as they migrate from a feature phone.”
Xperia miro – the fun social smartphone from Sony
Xperia miro is a slim, stylish smartphone with Facebook social experiences integrated throughout. Users are alerted to new incoming messages and social updates with colourful illuminations, and can easily video chat with friends using the front facing camera. To provide great music entertainment it integrates Sony’s xLOUD audio technology, giving crisp and loud sound. Xperia miro comes pre-installed with Music Unlimited* from Sony Entertainment Network, providing instant access to millions** of music tracks on the move.
Key features for Xperia miro
· 3.5” display for great browsing and entertainment experiences
· Launching on Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
· 5MP camera and brilliant quality video recording at 30fps
· Sony’s xLOUD audio technology gives crisp and loud sound
· Deep Facebook integration with contacts, gallery and the music player for sharing and discovery
· Customisable illuminations for incoming messages and social updates
· Front-facing camera for video chat between smartphones, tablets and PCs
· Contactless DLNA connectivity to easily view content like photos and videos on a TV, tablet and PC
· Powerful battery with >24hrs usage time
· Available in black, black/pink, white and white/gold colours
Xperia tipo – the affordable and easy to use smartphone
Xperia tipo offers a simple and easy to use smartphone experience targeting consumers who may be purchasing their first smartphone. With a dedicated set-up guide, a built-in application enabling users to monitor their data usage, excellent battery life and the latest Android platform – Ice Cream Sandwich – consumers can make the most of their smartphone experience.
Key features for Xperia tipo
· 3.2” scratch-resistant mineral glass display
· Launching on Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
· 3.2MP camera
· Dedicated set-up guide
· Data management solution to identify data usage
· Bluetooth and Wi-Fi™ for easy content sharing and web access
· Powerful battery, 1500 maH, with >24hrs usage time
· Available in red, white, blue and black
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Samsung will give away Galaxy Buds+ with S20+ and S20 Ultra pre-orders
Samsung's Galaxy S20 series will be here before you know it, and when pre-orders open up, you'll be able to get your hands on the new Galaxy Buds+ for free.
How Microsoft is making sure dual-screen apps are done right
Microsoft is treating dual-screen devices the way they need to be treated — as a new platform.
Android AirDrop competitor Nearby Sharing gets shown off in hands-on video
Thanks to the guys over at XDA-Developers, we are getting a first look at Android's upcoming AirDrop competitor Nearby Sharing, formerly Fast Share.
The best Honor phones available right now
Huawei's ongoing trade ban has affected its Honor sub-brand as well, with the manufacturer launching fewer devices than usual last year. That said, we got to see a few standout phones in the likes of the Honor 20