As part of their mega-LTE Android announcement this morning at CES, AT&T announced the Sony Xperia Ion, Sony's first LTE device. It's got a 4.6-inch 720p display, a whopping 12MP camera that can come awake from standby and take a picture in 1.5 seconds, 1GB of RAM, and a 1.5GHz dual-core CPU. Shipping with Gingerbread sometime in 2012, we expect this one to be on the fast track for Ice Cream Sandwich. The Ion is also a Playstation certified device, so it will have access to the Sony Entertainment Network. This looks to be one of the hot devices from CES, and we've only just begun. Hit the break for the full press release, and the link below for Sony's product page (with a video).
Xperia ion revealed – first LTE smartphone from Sony available exclusively from AT&T
- HD powerhouse – two HD cameras, 4.6-inch1 HD screen and HDMI-out support
- Unmatched Android camera experience in the US with 12 megapixel rear camera
- Effortless sharing of content with easy connectivity across multiple screens within the world of Sony
- PlayStation™ Certified and access to entertainment services from Sony Entertainment Network
January 9, 2012, Las Vegas, Nev. – Xperia™ ion, the first LTE smartphone from Sony®*, was introduced today at the 2012 International CES and will be available exclusively in the U.S. from AT&T in the second quarter.
Xperia ion from Sony enables easy connectivity with multiple screens for consumers looking to share and enjoy content on whichever screen they choose, whether it’s TV, smartphone, laptop or tablet.
Xperia ion from Sony has a stunning 4.6-inch HD display (1280 X 720 pixels) that provides a visual brilliance for superior viewing experiences. For photo enthusiasts, Xperia ion features a new Fast Capture innovation to make sure life’s unexpected moments are not missed: the HD camera goes from standby mode to first shot in 1.5 seconds.1 The impressive images taken with the 12-megapixel rear camera are unmatched by any other Android smartphone. Additionally, both rear- and front-facing cameras deliver HD recording capabilities.
“With Xperia ion, we’re bringing together several firsts that will take users beyond the smartphone,” said Paul Hamnett, President, Sony Ericsson North America. “Designed to deliver a seamless experience across the multiple screens we use to play, watch, listen, and share, Xperia ion is the gateway to entertainment when and – most importantly – where you want it.”
Xperia ion users will be able to access the richest entertainment experiences from Sony Entertainment Network. Music Unlimited offers a global catalogue of 12 million unique songs while Video Unlimited has the latest Hollywood blockbusters and TV shows from all major studios.
Xperia ion is also PlayStation™ Certified, guaranteeing a high quality smartphone gaming experience.
Xperia ion is launching on Android platform 2.3 (Gingerbread).
Key Features for Xperia ion:
- 4.6-inch HD Reality display with Mobile BRAVIA® Engine with HD resolution screen (1280 x 720), as well as rear (1080p) and front (720p) cameras for HD recording.
- 1.5GHz dual-core processor for fast browsing and content download, which can be stored on the internal 16GB flash storage.
- 12MP rear camera with Sony Exmor R™ for mobile with fast-capture to go from standby to first shot in less than two seconds.
- HD sharing through DLNA, HDMI and BRAVIA Sync to quickly and easily stream content on other screens.