After months of rumors, Google has finally started listing audiobooks on Google Play. Unlike Amazon's Audible — which has a monthly subscription fee of $14.95 that lets you pick up one title every month — Google is offering individual titles for sale without any monthly commitments.
Google is also rolling out a 50% discount on your first audiobook purchase as a way to incentivize customers, with the promotion valid until February 26. The deal makes it an enticing option if you're just getting started with audiobooks and are interested in seeing what's in store. Let's dive in.
How to download audiobooks from Google Play
- Open the Play Store from the app drawer or home screen.
- Select the Books tab.
Tap the Audiobooks category.
- You should see a banner for 50% off your first audiobook. Tap it to add the promo to your cart.
- Browse the list of audiobooks or search for a particular title via the search icon in the top right corner.
Enter your query in the text field.
- You'll see a list of results. Select your desired title to proceed.
- In the listing, you'll see the duration of the audiobook, and an option to listen to a sample before you make your purchase. Tap Play sample to listen to an excerpt of the audiobook.
If you decide to go through with the purchase, tap the blue Audiobook button.
- Google will populate the card information associated with your account, and you should also see your discount code applied automatically. Hit Buy audiobook to finalize the purchase.
- You'll be prompted to enter your password or your fingerprint to authenticate the purchase. Do so and hit the Confirm button.
You should see a payment confirmation dialog box.
That's it! You'll be able to listen to your audiobook on Android, iOS, the web, and on your Google Home by just saying, "Ok Google, read my book". If you're listening on your phone, Play Books automatically downloads new purchases, allowing you to listen to the book offline.
The Play Books interface has options to skip ahead or back 30 seconds, as well as settings to adjust the playback speed and set a sleep timer. You also have options to cast audio to a Chromecast Audio device.
What audiobooks are you guys looking to pick up? Let me know in the comments below.
Having tracking issues on your Quest 2? It might be your Christmas lights
Some users have been having tracking issues with their Oculus Quest 2 since Christmas decorations started going up, and you might be surprised at the correlation!
The best Cyber Monday phone deals anywhere
If you're hoping to find a new phone at a discount, Cyber Monday is the perfect opportunity to shop for one. This year's sale is lasting longer than ever, and a number of early Black Friday deals are already live!
Android apps on Windows 10 will be even worse than on Chromebooks
Android apps on Windows is an idea that faces so many hurdles it's unlikely to be very good. And a "not very good" Android experience is the last thing anyone needs.
These are the screen protectors you'll want to get for your Galaxy S20 FE
The Samsung Galaxy S20 FE has arrived and is surely going to compete with the top Android phones for the months to come. If you're planning to hang onto this device for the next few years, you'll want to make sure it's protected from every angle. These are the best screen protectors for the Galaxy S20 FE that you can get today.