As promised, Vizio today offered some details into the Android line of products it'll be showing this week at CES. Here's what we have to look forward to:
- The whole shebang is called the Vizio VIA Plus Ecosystem.
- The VIA Phone is a 4-inch Android smartphone with 1GHz processor, 802.11 n Wifi, GPS, HDMI output, 5MP rear camera and front-facing secondary camera.
- The VIA Tablet is an 8-inch tablet with 1GHz processor, 802.11n Wifi, GPS, HDMI output, three speakers for stereo audio, plus a front-facing camera.
- VIA Plus televisions and Blu-ray players have Google TV built in. The phone and tablet will, of course, serve as remote controls.
We'll definitely get a gander and these guys this week and get some more deets -- like what version of Android, how's the custom UI look, and all that jazz. Stay tuned, folks. Full presser's after the break.
VIZIO Unveils New Smartphone and Tablet Featuring VIA Plus for Even More Entertainment Freedom
- Part of the VIA Plus Ecosystem, the VIZIO smartphone and tablet Feature a Unified and Intuitive User Experience to Simplify Today's Connected Lifestyle
- The VIZIO smartphone features a 4" high-resolution capacitive touch screen with 5 Megapixel camera for photos and HD video capture, and a front-facing camera for video chat
- The VIZIO tablet boasts an 8" high resolution capacitive touchscreen with 3 speakers for stereo audio in portrait or landscape mode and a front-facing camera for video chat
- Both devices include HD video playback with HDMI video output, high quality audio processing and built-in universal remote control app that make these the ideal handheld companions to the HD entertainment experience
IRVINE, Calif., Jan. 3, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- VIZIO, America's #1 LCD HDTV Company*, announced today it is expanding into the mobility category with the VIZIO smartphone and tablet (referred to as the "VIA Phone" and "VIA Tablet" below) -- both part of the VIA Plus ecosystem, the next generation of VIZIO Internet Apps™, that features a unified, sophisticated and intuitive user experience across multiple CE devices including VIZIO HDTVs, Blu-ray players, smartphones and tablets.
"Both the VIA phone and tablet feature the highest performance coupled with innovative features that tie them into the media consumption experience," said Matthew McRae, Chief Technology Officer at VIZIO. "And by integrating the VIA Plus user experience also found on our next generation TVs and Blu-ray devices, VIZIO is delivering the multi-screen, unified ecosystem others have talked about for years and never delivered."
The VIZIO VIA Phone features a 1 GHz processor, 4" high-resolution capacitive touch screen, 802.11n Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity, GPS, a MicroSD card slot for memory expansion and HDMI output with HD video playback. It also features a front-facing camera for video chats and a 5 megapixel rear camera for photos and HD video capture.
The VIZIO VIA Tablet also features a 1 GHz processor, with an 8" high-resolution capacitive touch screen, 802.11n Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity, GPS, a MicroSD card slot for additional memory expansion, HDMI output with HD video playback, and a front-facing camera for video chats. It also boasts a unique three-speaker design for stereo audio in both portrait and landscape modes.
Both devices include a built-in IR blaster with universal remote control app for quick access to the entire home theater or nearly any other CE device in the home. Both run on the Android™ Platform, which will also allow users to access thousands of apps through Android Market™.
"As part of the VIA Plus ecosystem, the VIA phone and tablet are natural extensions of the HD entertainment experience that historically has centered around the TV," added Mr. McRae. "Whether consumers are looking to enjoy content on the big screen, on their tablet or on a mobile phone, VIA Plus delivers on the promise of Entertainment Freedom for All by creating a rich and consistent user experience across all devices that's accessible to everyone, from the power user to the casual browser."
VIZIO will be demonstrating the VIA Phone and VIA Tablet in their private CES showcase at the Wynn Hotel from January 6 to 9, 2011.
*Sources: Q3 2010 iSuppli and DisplaySearch Reports
VIZIO, Inc., "Entertainment Freedom For All," headquartered in Irvine, California, is America's HDTV and Consumer Electronics Company. In 2007, VIZIO skyrocketed to the top by becoming the #1 selling brand of flat panel HDTVs in North America and became the first American brand in over a decade to lead in U.S. TV sales. Since 2007 VIZIO HDTV shipments remain in the TOP ranks in the U.S. and was #1 for the total year in 2009. VIZIO is committed to bringing feature-rich consumer electronics to market at a value through practical innovation. VIZIO offers a broad range of award winning consumer electronics. VIZIO's products are found at Costco Wholesale, Sam's Club, Walmart, Target, BJ's Wholesale, and other retailers nationwide along with authorized online partners. VIZIO has won numerous awards including a #1 ranking in the Inc. 500 for Top Companies in Computers and Electronics, Fast Company's 6th Most Innovative CE Company of 2009, and made the lists of Ad Age's Hottest Brands, Good Housekeeping's Best Big-Screens, CNET's Editor's Choice, PC World's Best Buy and OC Metro's 10 Most Trustworthy Brands among many other prestigious honors. For more information, please call 888-VIZIOCE or visit on the web at www.VIZIO.com.
The V, VIZIO, TruLED, Extreme VIZIO Technology XVT, VIZIO Internet Apps, VIA Plus, 480Hz SPS, 240Hz SPS, Thin Line, Smooth Motion, Razor LED, Smart Dimming, Theater 3D, Cinema HDTV, Entertainment Freedom For All names, phrase and symbols are trademarks or registered trademarks of VIZIO, Inc. Android and Android Market are trademarks of Google, Inc. All other trademarks may be the property of their respective holders.