Dell this morning announced the available of its first Android smartphone (that's not a MID), the Aero. The 3.5-inch device (Gorilla Glass at an, erm, interesting 360x640 resolution) runs a pre-Eclair version of Android but is so heavily skinned you might never actually notice. There's a 5-megapixel camera, 2GB of onboard memory and microSD card, Wifi, Bluetooth, and the other usual bells and whistles.
To go along with the Dell UI, erm, customizations, the usual buttons you'd find at the bottom of the screen have been moved to the side of the device. We'll let that sink in for a moment. ... ... ... OK. Let's all wait until we actually use the Aero before we pass judgment on that one.
The Aero is available now at Dell.com/mobile for $99 with a new AT&T contract, an $299.99 sans contract. It'll be available at AT&T sometime in the future. Dell's official hands-on and full presser are after the break.
Dell’s first U.S. smartphone, the Dell Aero, is available today in a polished graphite finish at Dell.com/mobile, by phone at 1-800-308-DELL, and coming soon to www.wireless.att.com. Dell Chat representatives are standing by 24 x 7 to answer Dell Aero related questions.
· The Dell Aero is available for $99.99 with new AT&T* two-year contract†, and $299.99 without.
FREEDOM IS CALLING
Dell Aero, one of the lightest multi-touch 3.5-inch Google Android-based smartphones in the U.S., is designed to deliver a powerful, flexible, and entertaining experience in a stylish and compact design. Packed with today’s popular features, the Dell Aero will ship with Quick Office, Facebook with integrated calendar and contacts, Twitter and additional applications by Google, including YouTube and Android Market.
With AT&T’s Wi-Fi network, and the nation’s fastest mobile broadband network, today’s social media mavens can simultaneously make voice calls and Tweet friends, post Facebook updates, share pictures or browse the Web. AT&T has the nation’s largest Wi-Fi network with more than 20,000 U.S. hotspots.*
Dell is a member of the Open Handset Alliance (OHA), a group of technology and mobile companies working to accelerate innovation in mobility. Together, the OHA created Android, the first complete, open and free mobile platform to provide people a rich, inexpensive and exceptional mobile experience.
“The Dell Aero is built with a focus on style and performance to help people find new ways to connect with friends and express themselves socially supported by the nation’s fastest mobile broadband network.” – Ron Garriques, president, Dell Communication Solutions
DELL AERO FEATURES:
· One of the lightest Android smartphones in the U.S., on the nation’s fastest mobile broadband network
· Experience YouTube and other Flash content in nHD
· 5-megapixel camera with 8x zoom, flash, dedicated camera key and advanced shooting and editing capabilities
· Connect with friends with one-touch access to social networks
· Multi-task with GPS, plus hands-free conversations
· Wi-Fi access at more than 20,000 AT&T Wi-Fi hotspots with qualifying AT&T service plan
DELL AERO SPECIFICATIONS:
· Android platform complete with Android Market and Dell user interface enhancements
· 3.5-inch (640 x 360p) capacitive multi-touch display with pinch-to-zoom functionality
· Quad-Band GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850/900/1800/1900 MHz)
· Tri-Band UMTS/HSDPA (850/1900/2100 MHz)
· WiFi + Bluetooth
· 2 GB* on board user accessible Micro SD with expandable memory available up to 32 GB*
· Full HTML Browser with Adobe Flashlite
· GPS/A-GPS navigation
· POP, IMAP, Webmail and Microsoft Active Sync E-mail
Follow conversations in the blogosphere: #DellAero