Samsung this morning on Facebook unleashed a flurry of pics amid the launch of the Galaxy S 4.0 and 5.0 -- 4- and 5-inch Wifi-only versions of its wildly popular Samsung Galaxy S Android smartphone. They've been spotted before at various trade shows earlier this year, and we're awaiting any sort of details like pricing and availability. All Samsung said on Facebook was:
We’re pleased to announce the launch of the GALAXY S WiFi 4.0 and 5.0.
Complete with Android 2.2 “Froyo” for access to thousands of Android apps & 4’’ and 5’’ large, high quality screens, these handsets will provide the ultimate smartphone-like experience.
Update: Full presser's after the break -- we're looking at Korean devices thus far.
So, Wifi-only Galaxy S's, at 4 and 5 inches. Who's interested? Lots more pics at the source link.
SEOUL--(Korea Newswire) -- Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd., a leading provider of Smart Mobile Devices, today launched GALAXY S WiFi 4.0 and a fresh addition to its smart player portfolio, the GALAXY S WiFi 5.0.
Each featuring 4” and 5” screen-sizes and delivering the powerful application experiences as the original GALAXY S, the two versions give users an unrivalled entertainment experience through a clear display, a swift 1GHz processor and the Android™ 2.2 “Froyo” platform. The GALAXY S WiFi 4.0 will be first available in Russia and will be gradually rolled out in other countries. The GALAXY S WiFi 5.0 will be first available in Switzerland.
“With the GALAXY S WiFi 4.0 and 5.0 we’re delivering a rich, immersive experience for multimedia enthusiasts.” said JK Shin, President and Head of Samsung’s Mobile Communications Business. “A large, high-quality screen, a world of fun and useful applications and great communications services make this a powerhouse device at an affordable price.
The GALAXY S WiFi 4.0 and 5.0 will deliver all the rich smartphone experiences of the GALAXY S smartphone. With video communications via VoIP services and rich video and music entertainment with multi-codec support, the Samsung GALAXY S WiFi 4.0 and 5.0 will keep you constantly entertained.
Stunning Performance, Powerful Features
Key Features of the GALAXY S WiFi 4.0 and 5.0 include:
- Display: The clear display makes web surfing and multimedia viewing a joy. Keep your lifestyle mobile - enjoy movies, your favourite TV shows, photos and web-browsing anywhere. Samsung’s latest mDNIe image engine technology ensures that video and images look stunning.
- Android™ 2.2 “Froyo”: The GALAXY S WiFi 4.0 and 5.0 feature the Froyo operating system, with a possibility to upgrade to 2.3 Gingerbread.
- Application Customization: With access to over 150,000 apps available on Android Market™, the Samsung GALAXY S WiFi 4.0 and 5.0 are fully customizable smart devices. Integrated GPS support further expands the capabilities of the device, letting you benefit from Google’s map services and directory applications.
- Google Mobile Services: Enjoy premium Google™ services such as Gmail™, Google Talk™ and YouTube™. Utilize voice recognition technology to search with Google faster than ever on the Internet. Stay plugged into the world with premier Google applications.
- Samsung Social Hub: Your entire social life in your hand. Simultaneously post messages and pictures on Flickr, Facebook, and Twitter using Samsung’s Social Hub. The integrated address book provides the ultimate command & control station for the most popular SNS services. Synchronize your personal calendar with friends, family, and the latest events.
- VoIP Voice & Video Calls: The GALAXY S WiFi 4.0 and 5.0 utilize cost-effective video and voice communications services. The Qik application allows video chat which can be shared over social network services.
- HD Video & Images: A camera lets you shoot and share your life, capturing high-quality video or still images. The Samsung GALAXY S WiFi 4.0 and 5.0 support DivX HD, allowing high-definition video playback; Support for various codec standards including MPEG4, H264, DivX, XviD, WMV codecs ensures you can enjoy huge catalogues of content from all over the web.
- Audio excellence: The Samsung GALAXY S WiFi 4.0 and 5.0 “Smart Player” put entertainment at its core, designed to deliver the best possible audio and video experience. Samsung SoundAlive™ technology provides unrivalled sound quality, with deeper bass and greater tone articulation.
- Enhanced Memory Capability: Packed with generous 8/16 GB memory, plus mircoSD slot and powered by a powerful 1GHz for an industry leading performance, the GALAXY S WiFi 4.0 and 5.0 are equipped to handle any user demand.
About Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. is a global leader in semiconductor, telecommunication, digital media and digital convergence technologies with 2010 consolidated sales of US$135.8 billion. Employing approximately 190,500 people in 206 offices across 68 countries, the company consists of eight independently operated business units: Visual Display, Mobile Communications, Telecommunication Systems, Digital Appliances, IT Solutions, Digital Imaging, Semiconductor and LCD. Recognized as one of the fastest growing global brands, Samsung Electronics is a leading producer of digital TVs, semiconductor chips, mobile phones and TFT-LCDs. For more information, please visit www.samsung.com.
Android, Android Market, Google, Gmail, Google Talk, and YouTube are trademarks of Google, Inc.
Review: The Dyson V11 is a truly outstanding vacuum cleaner
The Dyson V11 is a unique cordless vacuum that combines a stylish design with outstanding day-to-day performance. Yes, it costs much more than traditional vacuums, but you are getting a lot more here.
Samsung Galaxy S20 review: A near-perfect, pocket-friendly powerhouse
The smallest of the three Galaxy S20 models may seem boring next to its big brothers, but don't be so quick to overlook it. The regular S20 is the best phone for value and the best phone for one-handed power-users and shutterbugs alike.
The latest Steve Aoki concert is even better in VR
Do you miss live concerts? Steve Aoki and Oculus are teaming up to help bring you an immersive live concert in VR on September 30 based on Neon Future IV, the 4th studio album launched earlier this year.
The Xperia 1 II is our favorite phone for shooting video
If video recording is your thing, then look no further than the Sony Xperia 1 II — it offers a large screen, three great cameras, and extremely robust manual video controls.