What you need to know
- This is a relatively small but important maintenance release.
- It paves the way for a few apps that broke 4K playback to work again.
- But some may still require server-side updates.
NVIDIA today has rolled out a maintenance release for the Shield Android TV box (which, by the way, remains the only Android TV box you should buy). It's chock full of bugfixes, but there's one in particular worth focusing on. It's a platform-based fix for some 4K playback gremlins that surfaced after the initial Android Pie update at the end of July.
Here's the take from NVIDIA itself, via its forums (opens in new tab):
The update is available now and takes just a few minutes to download and install.
Here's the full changelog, also via the forums:
- Redesigns Volume UI for android P
- Resolves occasional video playback issues
- Fixes bug with IR volume control when accessibility features enabled
- Resolves system navigation sound lower than android O
- Resolves "Drive address format is not valid" message seen when connecting to NAS
- Resolves USB DAC issue where audio volume would be set low after reboot/DAC hotplug
- Resolves issue where side loaded apps appear as system apps
- "Match content color space" feature now displays correct format
- Fixes bug where "Match content color space" would not work when display set to Rec709 by default
- Resolves issue playing VC1 content
- Resolves Sdcard/InternalStorage accessibility issue when adopting storage
- Resolves issue where storage is reported as full when using NVIDIA share after adopting storage
- Improves 4K streaming issues when network connected over Wifi
- Resolves rare Wi-Fi disconnect issue
- Fixes bug where manual DNS entries would not be saved
- Improves IR control reliability on some Denon and Sony receivers
- Improves SHIELD Remote App connection and control issues
- Resolves SHIELD Controller 2017 OTA stability issues
- Fixes issue where forgotten SHIELD accessories still appear in SHIELD accessory list
- Resolves automatic centering issues on some controllers
- Adds support for STRQUA G20 keymapping
- Resolves mouse issues in PUBG Mobile on SHIELD
- Fixes Google Play Store crashes issue
- Restores option to set default launcher
Open Known Issues
- YouTube 5.1 PCM audio not available
- Launcher app Icons appear zoomed/cropped
- Unable to re-enable location services being disabled
- TV loses sync HDMI sync to SHIELD during modesets (power on, wake from sleep, refresh/resolution changes)
- HD Audio dropouts
- USB DAC passthrough not working in Kodi
- Rare Netflix stutter issue
- Disconnect when connecting to SHIELD from PC
- Failure during 2015 Controller firmware update
About time! Now we need a server side update for 4K playback. VUDU and Movies Anywhere still won't work
where the hell is the fix for HDR in youtube?
Get the best of Android Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Android Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.