When it comes to solving problems, sometimes the best thing you can do is restart. Ideally, you shouldn't have to ever restart your Fitbit fitness tracker. Alas, we don't live in a perfect world. There are a few different restart methods depending on which model you have. Fortunately, the process only takes a few minutes. The following issues could potentially be fixed by restarting your Fitbit:
- Your tracker isn't syncing
- Your tracker won't respond to button presses, taps, or swipes
- Your tracker won't turn on even when it's fully charged
- Your tracker isn't tracking your activity
How to restart your Fitbit
The great thing about restarting your Fitbit is it won't delete any of your tracked activity. You don't need to be worried about losing all the hard work you've put into reaching your goals. All of your stats will be safe and sound. You can read through this guide or use the jumplist to hop to the specific instructions you're looking for.
How to restart Fitbit Ace or Alta Series
- Start by plugging your charging cable into your computer or USB wall charger.
- Plug your tracker into the charging cable, making sure the pins are securely locked with the tracker's port.
- The connection is secure when the tracker vibrates and the battery icon indicates that it's charging.
- Press the button on the end of the charging cable three times with a slight pause between each press.
- When the Fitbit logo appears, the tracker has restarted and you can unplug the cable.
You're good to go. Get that stylish band back on your wrist and start strutting your stuff!
How to restart Fitbit Ace 2 or Inspire Series
- Plug the charging cable into your computer or USB wall charger.
- Hold the other end of the cable near the port on the back of the tracker until the magnet attaches.
- Make sure the pins on the charging cable are securely connected with the port.
- Press and hold the button on your tracker for five seconds then release the button.
- A smile icon and vibration means the tracker has restarted.
Whether you're rocking the Ace 2 or Inspire 2, there's no excuse not to get back to tracking now.
How to restart Fitbit Blaze, Ionic, Versa, or Sense Series
- For Fitbit Versa and Ionic, press and hold the back and bottom buttons until you see the Fitbit logo.
- For Fitbit Versa Lite Edition, Versa 2, Versa 3, and Sense hold the side button for 10 seconds then release.
- If you're still having issues with your device, turn it off and turn it back on.
That should turn your dumb-watch back into a smartwatch.
How to restart Fitbit Charge Series
- If you can't sync your tracker or you're having trouble with connected GPS or tracking, you can restart your tracker from your wrist on both the Fitbit Charge 3 and 4. All you need to do is, open Settings and tap About, then Reboot Device.
- If it's still unresponsive, you can plug the charging cable into your computer or USB wall charger.
- Secure the other end of the charging cable to the port on the back of the tracker with the pins on the charging cable securely attached to the port.
- The connection is secure when your tracker vibrates and you see a battery icon on the display.
- For Charge 2: press and hold the button on your tracker for 4 seconds**. When the Fitbit logo appears and the tracker vibrates, it has restarted.
- For Charge 3 and 4: press and hold the button on your tracker for 8 seconds then release the button.
- A smile icon and vibration means the tracker has successfully restarted.
Your tracker should be up and running again, so unplug it from the charging cable and get moving!
How to restart Fitbit Flex 2
- Plug the charging cable into your computer or USB wall charger.
- Remove the pebble from the wristband and press it into the charging cable's compartment. The pins on the charging cable must be aligned with the pins on the back of the pebble to securely lock into place.
- The connection is secure when the pebble vibrates and the blinking indicator lights appear.
- Press the button on the charging cable below the tracker compartment three times within five seconds.
- The tracker vibrates each time you press the button. After the third press, all the lights will flash simultaneously, meaning the pebble has restarted
- If you miss the lights but the pebble resumes charging, this also means the restart was successful
You can remove the pebble from the charger and put it back into your Flex 2. Now back to regularly scheduled programming!
How to restart Fitbit One
- Plug the charging cable into your computer.
- Plug your Fitbit One tracker into the charging cable, making sure the gold contacts on your tracker align with the gold contacts in the inside of the charger.
- Hold down your tracker's button for 10-12 seconds.
- Remove your tracker from the charging cable and press the tracker's button until the screen turns on.
Your Fitbit One should boot up in just a few seconds and be ready to track once again.
How to restart Fitbit Zip
Since the Zip has a removable battery, the restart process is essentially a battery pull.
- Open the door to the battery in the back using the battery door tool.
- Remove the battery.
- Wait 10 seconds.
- Reinsert the battery back in with the "+" facing up and close the battery door.
- The version number will appear on the screen followed by a series of smiley faces, which indicates the restart was successful.
Smile on and continue tracking.
Need a new Fitbit band?
Now that you've been up close and personal with your band as you restarted your tracker, maybe you've realized it's time for an upgrade. Whether you own a tracker or a smartwatch, you'll be glad to know there are plenty of excellent options. Keep in mind that the Fitbit Versa 3 and the Fitbit Sense are equipped with a new band system, so you'll need to seek out a brand that is compatible with these models. Check out a few of our favorite replacement bands.
Maledan Replacement Band (From $6 at Amazon)
These bands are compatible with the Fitbit Alta, Alta HR, and Ace. The premium TPE and TPU materials are ultra-soft and lightweight for a comfortable wearing experience. It's an excellent pick for fitness enthusiasts thanks to its perfect breathability with the unique air hole design.
Welltin Woven Fabric Replacement Band ($9 at Amazon)
Looking for superior durability in the form of a quality woven nylon band for your Versa? Look no further than these Welltin bands. They're strong yet lightweight and smooth, so they'll never leave your skin itchy or sweaty. The precision spring pins ensure your watch stays secure.
Velavior Waterproof Replacement Band ($7 at Amazon)
If you're searching for the ideal workout companion, this band for the Fitbit Charge 3 or 4 is it. It's made from flexible high-quality elastomer that's waterproof and sweat-resistant. Skin irritation is a thing of the past. You can go hard during all your activities with this soft, lightweight, and durable band.
FITA Soft TPU Replacement Band ($4 at Amazon)
Those who own the Fitbit Versa 3 or the Sense will need to buy a third-party band that fits these new watches. This option from FITA is soft, waterproof, and surprisingly comfortable. It won't irritate your wrist during intense workouts. It comes in a multitude of fun colors, too.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.