Sony is in the midsts of updating its PlayMemories Mobile app for Android and iOS, bringing them up to version 4.0 and 4.0.1 respectively. The app allows smartphones to connect to Wifi-equipped Sony cameras, including the QX-series "lens camera" accessories which clip onto the back of handsets. The latest update introduces a quick photo browser to make it easier to see shots taken with the connected device, as well as support for the new version 2.1 PlayMemories Smart Remote Control app on Sony cameras.
And there's a sizeable update coming for Sony's QX10 and QX100 lens cameras too, Sony says this morning in a press release. A firmware update due to arrive next month will bump max ISO levels to 3,200 for the QX10 and 12,800 for the QX100, allowing for sharper low-light snaps. Both devices are set to receive 1080p widescreen video recording, while the QX100 will be updated with a shutter priority mode.
The new PlayMemories app is available on Google Play now; the firmware update for the QX-series lens cameras will land in January, Sony says.
We've got the full presser after the break.
SONY ANNOUNCES SOFTWARE AND FIRMWARE UPDATES IMPROVING SPEED, FUNCTIONALITY OF CYBER-SHOT QX “LENS-STYLE” CAMERAS
New PlayMemories Mobile™ App Version 4.0 Adds Photo Browsing, Faster Connection Speeds; New Firmware Adds Full HD video shooting, Expanded ISO Range and more
SAN DIEGO, Dec. 18, 2013 – Sony Electronics has announced plans for a software and firmware update designed to improve the overall usability, speed and functionality of the Cyber-shot QX100 and QX10 “Lens-style” Cameras.
The software update for the PlayMemories Mobile™ application – Version 4.0 – will work with all Sony Wi-Fi enabled cameras in addition to the Cyber-shot QX series, and will be available immediately in both Google Play™ and App Store™. The updated application will feature:
- Embedded Photo Browser – A “Quick Viewer” photo browser has been added to the PlayMemories Mobile application, which will allow for seamless navigation between shooting images and viewing images in playback mode.
- Improved Speed and Functionality – The newest version of the application will have improved connectivity speed when linking to devices running the Apple iOS™ platform. More specifically, connection start up time will be approximately twice as fast compared to previous versions of the PlayMemories Mobile application.
Sony will be releasing another software update in Spring 2014 to improve connectivity speed with Android devices.
CAMERA FIRMWARE UPDATE
Additionally, there will be a firmware update for QX cameras in January which will add a variety of exciting capabilities including:
- Full HD Movie Recording (QX100 and QX10): Both of the Cyber-shot QX Series cameras will have the ability to shoot Full HD 1080p video (1920x1080@30p in MP4) after the firmware update.
- Shutter Priority (“S”) Mode (QX100 only): The Shutter Priority (“S”) mode will be added to the QX100 camera to allow direct access control to shutter speed.
- Expanded ISO Shooting Range (QX100 and QX10): Each of the cameras will be able to shoot at higher ISO settings for greater versatility in low-light conditions. The QX10 camera will be expanded from max ISO 1600 to max ISO 3200. The QX100 camera will be expanded from max ISO 3200 to max ISO 12800.