Get ready for more smartphone alphabet soup. Samsung has announced its new naming convention, along with four new Android smartphones.
Let's start with the hardware and preface it by saying this is a general announcement, and not anything you'll see in the United States anytime soon. And with that, we've got the Samsung Galaxy W, Galaxy M Pro, Galaxy Y and Galaxy Y Pro.
We break it all down after the break.
Here are the new devices, as described by Samsung:
Samsung GALAXY W
Equipped with high-spec technology including a 1.4GHz Processor, HSDPA 14.4 Mbps connectivity and a large 3.7” touch screen, the GALAXY W is the ideal solution for those who need to Live Fast and Live Smart. This powerful performance is enhanced with the inclusion of Samsung’s Game, Social and Music Hubs, providing one-stop solutions for a consumer’s gaming, socializing and listening needs. Kies Air enables additional control, allowing users who have misplaced their phone to track it, meaning complete peace of mind.
GALAXY M Pro
Providing a strong performance for high value, the GALAXY M Pro is the ideal solution for young and sociable professionals. A QWERTY keyboard provides swift, accurate typing on the go - enhancing productivity when drafting memos, documents and messages. The keyboard also simplifies communication with Social Hub allowing users to talk to whoever they want, however they want, all from their contact list. Communication history, instant messaging and updates from social networking sites are all readily available.
An optical track pad and touch screen ensures the interface is easy and simple to use. This productivity and functionality is packed into a sleek 9.97m body. Designed with professionals in mind, the GALAXY M Pro offers extensive productivity through a variety of enterprise solutions, including Exchange Active Sync, Sybase Afaria, CISCO Mobile and CISCO WebEx.
Compact but with a full range of features and allowing the ability to stay social on-the-go, the GALAXY Y is an ideal device for younger consumers. Seamless multitasking is enabled thanks to the device’s powerful 832MHz processor. The GALAXY Y includes Samsung’s Social Hub, allowing users to stay connected with their online social circles. Equipped with Samsung’s TouchWiz User Interface, the GALAXY Y delivers a simple and intuitive experience. Additionally, the inclusion of SWYPE facilitates speedy typing. The GALAXY Y is available in a variety of colors ensuring it can fit with anyone’s style.
GALAXY Y Pro
Equipped with a QWERTY keyboard as well as enhanced social and professional features, the GALAXY Y Pro Smartphone is optimized for young professionals looking to manage both their work and home lives with ease. Users can stay constantly connected with Social Hub Premium, which supports email, social network integration and instant messaging.
An optimized, intuitive touch screen interface allows an accessible and intelligent experience, while users are able to work on the go thanks to ThinkFree mobile office, enabling a variety of Office documents (Word, PPT, Excel and PDF) to be edited from the handset. Productivity is enhanced thanks to the combined power of touch screen and QWERTY keyboard inputs, enabling smooth navigation with efficient and professional input. WiFi Direct also allows faster transfer rates, allowing content to be shared quickly.
The new names
Here's where things get a little more confusing. Or not, depending on whom you're asking. The Galaxy S name has been around for some time, and the Galaxy R was recently announced. And now it's branching off into even more classes. To wit:
- “S” (Super Smart) – Devices at the very pinnacle of Samsung’s mobile portfolio. This class will only be used on flagship devices such as the Samsung Galaxy S, the award-winning smartphone that has already sold 10 million units throughout the world.
- “R” (Royal / Refined) – Premium category models, a combination of power, performance and productivity for the individual who wants to be defined by the technology they carry.
- “W” (Wonder) – High quality, strategic models, perfect for those seeking a balance between style and performance.
- “M” (Magical) – High-performance models at an economic price-point.
- “Y” (Young) – These are entry models or strategic models for emerging markets or a younger audience more sensitive to price.
And that gets broken down even further with "class indicators":
- “Pro” – This indicates that the device includes a QWERTY keyboard for speedier email typing and increased productivity for professionals.
- “Plus” – This indicates that the device is an upgrade from an existing model.
- “LTE” – This indicates that the device is designed to utilize LTE (Long-Term Evolution) connectivity standards, a 4G standard to provide increased mobile network capacity and speed.
Got all that? Good. There will be a test later.
Source: Korea newswire
- Filed under: