In hindsight, it's not all that surprising that the new Moto G is as good at it is. Motorola's gotten really good at the mid-range phone. Better than anyone else, I'd argue. And it's not surprising because Motorola told us a long time ago what its game plan would be.
Actually, it was Larry Page who told us.
Better battery life. Basic water-resistance. Basic survivability.
Anyone out there who thinks Motorola hasn't delivered? And in the new Moto G, Motorola's delivered all that in a $200 phone. I'm working on our review of the new Moto G. A couple of the other guys are using it as well. We're all very surprised at the quality of this phone. Hell, there's only one reason (maybe two — I'm not sure yet) why I wouldn't carry the Moto G in lieu of the LG G4 or Samsung Galaxy S6. Can't give away the farm, though. You'll have to wait for the review for that one.
A few other thoughts on things ...
- My old boss Dieter is a little overdramatic here, but he's not wrong. Two names for the new Moto X is just silly. If I had to guess, it's because of money, or lawyers, or both.
- Dieter and I were covering phones together back when the year's Samsung model had different names for each and every U.S. carrier. That was silly.
- And in any case, it's our problem. Not Motorola's.
- It'll be interesting to see if we get a marketing push from Moto this year, or if they'll continue to fly under the radar.
- Why's the OnePlus 2 so polarizing? We have only ourselves to blame. And in the end, it's just a phone.
- Still, nice preview from Russell and Andrew.
- In that same vein, it's going to be really interesting to see what comes out of Nextbit. We should know more in another month or so, hopefully.
- If the leaks are to believed, Samsung's about to drop something like six new phones on us.
- I don't think Samsung's about to drop six new phones on us.
- Though they've done it before.
- I'm still not worried about Stagefright.
- So happy for the Big Android BBQ folks. This year's event looks like it's going to be incredible. Which is why it's killing me to miss it.
- I've got a good excuse, though. I'll be doing a talk (or maybe two) at the ITEN Wired summit here on Pensacola Beach. If you're in the area, you should definitely try to come!
- If not for me, then for the beach!
- More on both of those events as we get closer to them.
- I loaded up Windows 10 this week. It's beautiful, until it isn't. Microsoft has to ditch that legacy Windows stuff eventually, right? (And non-Metro apps — or whatever you call them at this point — just look ridiculously alongside the sleek half of the UI.)
- For more on that, check out all of Window Central's coverage.
That's it for this week. Look for the Moto G review in a few days. Y'all have a good one.