After launching on iOS earlier this year, Disney is now bringing its cloud movie service, dubbed Disney Movies Anywhere, to the US Play Store. Now available as a native app for Android devices, the service ties in your Google Play and iTunes accounts with a Disney account and lets you watch purchased content on any Android or iOS device, as well as Disney's website.
Here's the list of features offered by Disney's Movies Anywhere service:
- Watch your Disney, Pixar, and Marvel movies anywhere you go, across all your devices!
- Build your digital movie collection with a library of hundreds of movies to choose from.
- Access exclusive Disney content for free, including original programming, never-before-seen videos, and much more.
- Watch movies while connected or download movies to your device for offline viewing.
- Earn Disney Movie Rewards points for every digital transaction.
The platform agnostic approach means that any Disney, Pixar, or Marvel Universe movies you buy (or have bought in the past) will be available for streaming irrespective of whether the device you're using is running Android or iOS. The deal means that you can buy Frozen on iTunes and then stream it on your Android tablet via the native video player, and vice versa, at least in the US, where the service currently works.
According to Jamie Voris, chief technology officer at Walt Disney Studios:
This is about getting people comfortable with building their digital movies collection. Disney is going to protect them and make sure they can watch their movies wherever they want to.
Disney is also giving away Wreck-It Ralph for free to users who link their Google Play account to Disney's cloud movie service.
What do you think of Disney's efforts in bringing cross-platform convergence to its titles?