What you need to know
- OnePlus is rolling out a new OxygenOS update for the OnePlus 8 and 8 Pro phones.
- The latest update comes with several new features, including support for encoding videos in the H.265 codec.
- The H.265 codec helps reduce the size of recorded videos without compromising on quality.
OnePlus is now rolling out a new OxygenOS update for its latest OnePlus 8 and 8 Pro smartphones. As per the folks at XDA Developers, the update has a lengthy changelog and brings quite a few new features. It arrives as v10.5.8 for the standard OnePlus 8 and v10.5.10 for the OnePlus 8 Pro.
The update adds a new auto ultra-wide-angle lens feature, which is claimed to improve the image quality of edges when shooting at a close range. However, this new feature is only available on the OnePlus 8 Pro and not the standard OnePlus 8. More importantly, the update brings support for H.265 encoding to reduce video storage size on both OnePlus 8 series phones. OnePlus has also optimized the click animation for the camera shutter and "improved the shooting experience."
Along with the new camera features, the update optimizes the touch response, power consumption performance, wireless charging stability (OnePlus 8 Pro only), pocket mode, and the unlocking animation. It also comes with the May 2020 Android security patch and adds Epic Games in Game Space for users in India.
Here's the full changelog:
- Optimized the touch and interaction experience
- Optimized the expanded screenshot user experience for some scenes
- Optimized the power consumption performance of the system, battery life extended to be longer than ever
- Optimized the wireless charging stability, providing better user experience (OnePlus 8 Pro only)
- Optimized the pocket mode to reduce mistouches
- Optimized the unlocking animation, making the unlock transition smoother
- Updated Android Security Patch to 2020.05
- Updated GMS package to 2020.03
- Added the "Delete" button in the notification bar of incoming messages
- Added keyword whitelist option in SMS blocking settings, the messages with the specified keywords will not be blocked
- Newly added H.265 HEVC codec to reduce video storage size seamlessly, capture and shoot more without compromising on quality
- Added auto ultra-wide-angle lens feature when shooting at close range to improve picture quality of edges (OnePlus 8 Pro only)
- Optimized the click animation for camera shutter, boosting the smoothness of photo-taking experience
- Improved the shooting experience with camera and improved stability
- Improved the stability of communication
- Improved the performance and stability of Wi-Fi transfers
- Optimized network latency for online games and improved the smoothness
- Added Epic Games in Game Space. With one-step installation, check out Fortnite and many other Epic Games, all from Game Space
OnePlus is rolling out the update in batches, so it is currently available only for a small number of users. In the coming days, however, the company is expected to commence a wider rollout. To check for the update manually, you will need to go to Settings > System > System updates on your OnePlus 8 or 8 Pro.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
WhatsApp service returning after over an hour of worldwide outages
After over an hour of WhatsApp outages leading to delayed messages around the world, the service is coming back for most people.
Google Pixel Buds second opinion: A genuine triumph with one damning flaw
Google has never shied away from a fight, and the second version of the Pixel Buds are the kind of sequel you like to see.
125W charging is coming — what do you think about that?
125W charging speeds are coming soon. What's your take on this? Whether you think it's amazing or overkill, we want to hear from you!
Your OnePlus 8 Pro deserves only the best screen protectors
We love the OnePlus 8 Pro, especially its 120Hz AMOLED display. A screen protector is installed on the phone out of the box, but if you find yourself needing a new one, here's what we recommend buying.