What you need to know
- OnePlus has released the OxygenOS 10.5.4 update for its latest OnePlus 8 and 8 Pro phones.
- The update brings quite a few new features and improvements, including support for the Live Caption feature.
- The March 2020 Android security patch is included as well.
OnePlus' latest flagship phones, the OnePlus 8 and 8 Pro are slated to go on sale in the U.S. from April 29. Even though the OnePlus 8 and 8 Pro haven't started shipping out to buyers yet, the company has released a new OxygenOS update (via 9to5Google) for the two phones.
The new OxygenOS 10.5.4 update for the OnePlus 8 series comes with a lot of changes, including several optimizations and improvements. What is slightly disappointing, however, is that the update includes the March Android security and not the latest one dated April 1, 2020.
As for new features, the update brings support for the Live Caption feature, which was rolled out to a few OnePlus smartphones last month. The feature can detect speech in any media playing on the phone and automatically generate captions. OnePlus claims to have optimized the camera experience as well, along with a new video filter feature. Additionally, the update enables users to wake up their default voice assistant by long-pressing the power button and "integrate" the OnePlus Bullets Wireless Z earbuds with Dolby Atmos for improved sound quality.
Here's the full changelog:
- Improved system stability
- Improved icon display in status bar
- Imporved back gesture experience
- OnePlus Bullets Wireless Z can now be integrated with Dolby Atmos for better sound quality
- Added double-tap feature to wake up lockscreen in ambient display mode or off-screen condition
- Added OnePlus Tips & Support section in Settings. Check out all the new features and answers to common issues here
- Added Live Caption, this will detect speech in media and automatically generate captions (To enable: Settings-System-Accessibility-Live Caption)
- Update Android Security Patch to 2020.03
- Updated GMS package to 2020.02
- Optimized the camera's shooting experience and improved stability
- Optimized the animation effect and improved interaction experience
- Added video filter feature
- Optimized the fingerprint unlock experience when unlocking the device
- Added contact notes info for incoming calls
- Optimized network data transmission performance and stability
Voice Assistant updates
- Now you can wake up voice assistant of your choice just by long-pressing the power button (To enable: Settings-Buttons & gestures-Press and hold the power button-Choose the app you want to activate)
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Everything you need to know about the Pixel 4a and Pixel 4a 5G
The Pixel 4a is now available, the Pixel 4a 5G is coming soon, and we've rounded up everything you need to know about both phones. Let's dive in!
What to expect from Amazon's September 2020 Alexa & Ring hardware event
Amazon is set to host its annual fall hardware event on Thursday, September 24. Here are a few devices that we might expect to see at tomorrow's event.
How does Samsung's S Pen work so damn well?
There are other reasons to want a Galaxy Note, but if you want a good stylus experience, it's really the only phone that has one. That's because Samsung has made the S Pen part of the phone through both hardware and software.
Your OnePlus 8 Pro deserves only the best screen protectors
We love the OnePlus 8 Pro, especially its 120Hz AMOLED display. A screen protector is installed on the phone out of the box, but if you find yourself needing a new one, here's what we recommend buying.