Daniel Bader checks in from Turkey to speak with Andrew Martonik about an odd tweet from Niantic about Android updates. Additionally, Huawei is making some promises that may prove difficult for them to make good on. They also talk about Samsung Galaxy Fit and the Withings Move.
Things are getting 'interesting' at Google — They are canceling future tablet hardware. But on the bright side (hopefully), they are offering RCS messaging without the carrier in the middle.
Show Notes and Links:
- Niantic just proved that Android updates have a major discoverability problem
- Huawei promises to update 17 smartphones to Android Q despite impending Google ban
- Samsung Galaxy Fit review: Daily activity tracking with no hassle
- Withings Move review: Respect the simplicity
- Google's reportedly canceled its future tablets, now focusing on laptops
- Google will now directly offer RCS features instead of waiting on carriers
- Google is offering RCS messaging without the carrier in the middle. What does that mean for me?
- Thrifter.com: All the best deals from Amazon, Best Buy, and more, fussily curated and constantly updated.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
A few good Kindle books can help you get through these tough times
One of my favorite pastimes in good times or bad is to curl up on the sofa with a good book, preferably on my Amazon Kindle. Here are some of the stories that have been distracting me over the past few weeks of lockdown and social isolation.
Top 6 things Google needs to add to Chrome OS to compete with Windows
Chrome OS has gotten pretty good in recent years — especially for tablets and touchscreens — but there’s always room to improve. Here’s my wishlist for my favorite lightweight laptop ecosystem.
Amazon Echo Frames review: Alexa comes for your eyes and ears
When I reviewed the Amazon Echo Buds in late 2019, I commented that they were a solid first attempt to help get Alexa out of the house and make her more useful on the go. The Echo Frames, which were announced at the same time as the Echo Buds, are the latest of Alexa's steps into the wider world. I'll tell you what I thought of them after my first few days with them.
You can shoot up the ol' West in the latest game to join the Oculus Quest
The Oculus Quest allows you to play VR games without requiring a PC, phone, or external sensors. Here's every game you can buy or download for free!su