Microsoft's fitness-focused smartwatch, the Band 2, has picked up an update that brings new functionality when paired with Android smartphones, such as the ability to track weight, sharing your workouts, GPS enhancements, and activity reminders.
The update bumps the Microsoft Health companion app to version 1.3.20128.2, with the following changes listed:
- Share your workout - Create custom Guided Workouts in the web dashboard, and share them with friends.
- Track your weight - to help you maintain your current weight, or help you reach your weight goals.
- Web Tile Gallery - Sports scores, news headlines. A variety of content you care about can be delivered straight to your band.
- GPS Power Saver - Enable GPS Power Saver in your Bike or Run Tile to extend your battery life up to 4 hours.
- Activity reminders – Get moving!
- Bug fixes
Band 2 represents Microsoft's commitment to cross-platform technologies, as the fitness tracker works on Windows Phone, Android and iOS. While the functionality is varied across platforms, the Redmond giant is adding new features via constant updates.
As for the hardware itself, the $249 Band 2 offers continuous heart rate monitoring, calorie burn, sleep quality, tracking various forms of activity through eleven on-board sensors, and notification alerts delivered via a 1.26-inch AMOLED screen.