So here we go. New Nexus week. The phones are just part of it, of course. We'll have a more in-depth preview Monday of what we're expecting Tuesday. But me? I'm hoping for a few surprises, especially since so much has leaked out already. (And I really do hate it when that happens.)
The new Nexus phones are the sexy part, of course. And two of them? I'm hoping (but not sold on the idea) that it's more than just a SKU play, that it's more than just size and spec options. Will one be functionally different than the other? Will a 3400 mAh battery (and change) make that big a difference in the Huawei 6P? And will that phone just be too damn big?
And if the blurry Chromecast rumors pan out, might that be the bigger long-term product? My only issue with 'Casting all the things has been connectivity. A 5GHz connection couldn't hurt that, right? Or have issues been a server-side thing? (I've never enjoyed telling my daughters why their movies are lagging.)
And don't forget about the release of Android 6.0 Marshmallow, which is as exciting as much as it also is hurry-up-and-wait for most folks. For those new to Android, remember that a code release is not the same thing as updates being available on devices. Question is who will be first with updates. My money's still on Motorola. But it's pretty obvious that manufacturers have been building with M for some time.
So there's going to be a lot going on in the next week or two. I'm not concerned about having it all figured out on Day 1. There's going to be a lot to take it. Let's remember to have fun, they're just phones — and this won't be the last time any of us goes through this.
- OMG he is going to say something about politics this week?
- Maybe. I don't mind if you disagree with me. I encourage it, actually. (Just ask Jerry!) I do mind if you think I (or someone else) shouldn't have an opinion.
- Ed Snowden still fascinates the hell out of me. It's such a complex (yet simple, at times) discussion. Neil Degrasse Tyson had a cool interview with him. (Part 1, Part 2).
- Speaking of really good podcasts, Rob Lowe on the Nerdist Podcast was incredible. (Kids, ask your parents.)
- I'm not Catholic, and the idea of a Pope is kinda crazy to me, but Francis is kinda awesome. (Francis. Not Benedict. Or that other guy. You know, him. Told you I wasn't Catholic.)
- OTOH, he's just reminding us of things we probably should be doing anyway, right?
- Papal lines vs. iPhone lines. On the same day. This is the world we live in.
- Love seeing a new album streaming a week early on YouTube. (But not on Google Play Music?) And is it just me, or is the audio quality kinda crap?
- Usually I'm the one to say "Eh, not a big deal" when others are freaking out. Kinda fun to see folks forget that.
- Google Photos is still very much my leader for Google's most important product of 2015.
- Very cool interview with the author of The Martian. I love that we're doing occasional unrelated stuff like this.
- And I completely agree with Russell's conclusions on the Huawei Watch. This is currently the one to get, I think.
That's it for this week. We've all got a long, hard, fun week ahead.