Those of you who woke up with a Motorola Droid 2 by your side should start pressing the update button now, because your Android 2.3 Gingerbread update is available. It's actually Android 2.3.3 and not the more recent Android 2.3.4, but we'll take what we can get at this point.
In addition to the OS update, here's what you can expect:
- New Download Manager App
- Under Manage Applications, a new “Running” tab displays a list of active applications, as well as the storage and memory being used by each.
- Multi-Touch Key-Chording
- Improved Word Selection and Copy Functionality:
- New User Interface and Color Scheme:
- New widgets, icons and screens with refreshed colors.
- Three swappable icons and the App Launcher icon are fixed to the dock at the bottom of all home screen panels for easy and instant access.
- New App Menu allows creation of custom app groups
- Added Device and SD Card encryption.
- VPN enhancements integrate IPSec VPN clients into device security settings
Initial reports are that things certainly seem smoother, which isn't always the case with updates these days. Seeing something different? Sound off!
More in the Droid 2 forums
Thanks to everyone who sent this in!
- Filed under: